Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesVisual ArtsDrawing & Illustration · 2 months ago

Is it okay for me to look through my child’s sketchbook?

Recently, my son has started to pick up drawing. Naturally I am curious and want to see what he has made, but he keeps his sketchbooks near him and refuses to let me or his father look through them. I’ve seen him show some of his friends, does he not trust me? And if he is drawing normal kid-friendly things, why does he have to hide it? He got quite upset the last time I went through some of this things.

1 week ago

I have a son who is under age. I talk to him patiently & let him know he is underage & there's things i have to keep on eye on for his safety.  He hated it at first; but i told him that, i am making sure he isn't being derailed by bad influences into bad habits while he is under my care "Yes! a teen is a CHILD who needs guidance". Thank God, me & my son have a strong relationship now, just make sure you are patient & also living the example of what is right & wrong. 

Source(s): JesusChrist is the way my friends!
  • Evi

If he wishes to show you, he will. Let him have his privacy now, if you take a sneak peak all that is gonna do is destroy his trust in you as a parent. As long as he knows he can approach you about anything don't worry too much. I'm sure he will share his artwork with you when he's good and ready 

Some things are just personal that only he wants to keep to himself. Maybe he'll have some "cringe-worthy" drawings in there that he'll be embarrassed to show to other people. When he showed his friends, that was probably just one piece, or something for that friend, or something that they can relate to. He's relatively new to art, so he'll probably be a little insecure to show off his art to you, since he's afraid you'll judge more than his friends. You should be able to respect his privacy and his words, and just wait for when he's okay with sharing his art. No matter what happens, support his art like a good parent would!

He doesn't want to deal with being judged on something so personal that he's still trying to learn. 

• Marli

I felt so betrayed my my mother reading my diary that I resented her for decades. The pain went deep and the scar calcified.  When you can't trust your own mother ...

Don't pry.  You will make him hate you when he finds out.  Ask him to show you some of his drawings, to show him you are interested in his work.  Tell him that you hope and trust that he is not drawing nasty things. 

• J

You need to respect his privacy. If he wants to show you, he will. Don’t worry about what he’s drawing. If it’s not “kid friendly,” too bad. It’s all stuff that came from his mind anyway. 

If are like my Mother, when I went to sleep a thing she wanted out of my life was in the garbage for she thought out of sight was out of mind so how can you not check it out when he was a sleep......

• Cogito

No - it's not.  It's like a diary.  It's private.

Either you trust your son or you don't.

If you go through his things he'll simply find some way to hide them from you and he'll lose all trust in you.