What is the specialty of the Mona Lisa ?

• Marli

I like the "modernized version".  The original looks like my wizened old grandmother looked. I saw it once, for a few seconds, passing it in a constantly moving line with other tourists. It's very small, and all the protective reenforced glass made it look ugly to me.  I never have liked the illustrations of it.

Lisa was a rich man's wife or daughter or lover.  I don't know why the painting is so "special". It was "special" to Leonardo and I suppose King Francis I of France admired it since he kept it after the artist's death. Francis enjoyed {Ahem!} appealing women, so Lisa's portrait probably had sex appeal.

Anyway, people who have studied art call the painting the masterwork of a genius, and I know Leonardo da Vinci was terrific at rendering facial and body expressions. His notebooks and his other works show me that he was terrific. 

• Cogito

The 'specialty'?  Are you sure that's what you mean? She doesn't specialise in anything.  

If you meant to ask what is so special about it, it was pained by the genius Da Vinci and is an amazing work of art.  

And by the way - the photo above is NOT the Mona Lisa.  It's a very poor copy, changing her face to a modernised version.