Is reading the Decameron during this pandemic enlightening, or otherwise helpful?

• Prince

In my personal opinion, yes, Boccaccio is enlightening and that's because it parts the veil of pretense and self delusion and shows the genuine. Human nature is actually bawdy and animalistic and sexuality is the hidden mystery behind the pretense of both the intellectual and the sacred. 

• Tina

No, I feel Poe's "The Masque of the Red Death" would be much more enlightening.

"And  now  was  acknowledged  the  presence  of  the  Red Death. He had come like a thief in the night. And one by one dropped  the  revellers  in  the  blood-bedewed  halls  of  their revel, and died each in the despairing posture of his fall. And the  life  of  the  ebony  clock  went  out  with  that  of  the  last  of the gay. And the flames of the tripods expired. And Darkness and Decay and the Red Death held illimitable dominion over all."

• Marli

Entertaining. Not "enlightening", unless you're interested in what the14th century Italian privileged class liked to listen to.  We are not told the distance the members of the group sat apart from each other.  Like today, they practiced self isolation from the "populated potential infection zone" of the city by going to and staying at their rural estate.

It's like Chaucer's "The Canterbury Tales" - a group of people telling tales to lighten the tedium.  Some stories are funny. Some are horrific. Some are dull. Some are moral tales.

Chat alert!  Lomax read the Decameron during our current epidemic.  I listened to an unabridged audiobook of "Moby Dick".  At last I can take it off my list.

• Lili

It's not "enlightening" -- it's not going to give you any great insights into a pandemic or the social impact of one -- but it's quite entertaining.  I first read it in college and still enjoy the stories, though some of them are rather horrifying in a modern context.  I recommend it.

• Lomax

I did indeed take advantage of the lock-down to read the Decameron (it had been sitting on my bookshelf mocking me for about a decade...). It seemed fitting.

By and large, I enjoyed it. Not sure that I found it enlightening or helpful, but it was entertaining. Mind you, entertaining = helpful these days.

Now, if I can just get round to that copy of War and Peace that has been mocking me even longer...

I don't think so. Swallows and Amazon series by Arthur Ransome is better.