Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsReptiles · 6 months ago

Bearded Dragon mystery condition?

I have a 2 year old bearded dragon. When I first got her, she was extremely healthy. There wasn't a single thing wrong with her. After a little before her first year, her back legs started to stay straight, and she had a hard time bending them. Her front legs sort of cross when she walks (almost like she's army crawling). The best way I can describe it is as cerebral palsy. I have owned dragons in the past, so it's nothing that I have done. I have taken her to multiple exotic vets, and all of them seem perplexed (I also explained to them her diet and tank set up, and they agree it's not due to a lack of care). Other than her legs, they say she's 100% healthy. The vets have also made calls to exotic specialists in other states, and one in Canada. They weren't sure what it is either. At first they thought it was Atadenovirus, but now that it's been over a year, they no longer thin that's what it is. If never force her legs to move because I don't want to hurt her, but the vet did do a leg check and she resists when they tried to bend them. It causes her to stumble as she walks, and gives her a hard time catching her food (don't worry, I feed her with tweezers to ensure she eats. She hasn't gotten worse, and it's been over a year. She doesn't seem to be suffering, it's almost like she doesn't even notice it. I know this is a long shot, but has anyone else experienced this? Does anyone know what this could be, and what I can do about it? I would appreciate any ideas and answers. 

I forgot to mention she was confirmed negative for any deficiencies and metabolic bone disease. Those were ruled out by a few different vets she has seen already. Sorry for forgetting to add that!

She also doesn't have any internal blockages that they could find. They did x-rays on her as well and said her bones are perfectly healthy and that there were no blockages. Their best guess was a neural issue, but they weren't sure. She's been a mystery case to everyone she has seen so far...

Sounds like metabolic bone disease

Sounds like a nutritional deficiency at a critical point of development.

Intestinal blockage or calcium deficiency.