Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsMarriage & Divorce · 2 months ago

Ex husband took our son and left state?

My ex husband took our son and left state because he wants to start a new life with him. I have three children, two of the other children are from a previous relationship, and we were able to agree on a custody agreement. He took our youngest who is 4 and left state. We both have equal custody since we’re both on the birth certificate. My youngest has lived with me and his siblings all his life. His dad has two felonies and just got off parole a week ago. I have no idea where my ex is living at with my son. I am contacting an attorney tomorrow, but I’m worried about my youngest. Do you guys think I will get him back? Is there anything I can do in the meantime? Thanks

4 Answers

  • Foofa
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

    When custodial interference/kidnapping takes place you're supposed to call the police not your attorney. This guy's also crossed state lines, so now it's a federal offense (one that comes with a potential 25 year prison sentence). You're being WAY too passive about this, Mom. 

  • 2 months ago

    The cops would be a good start. The names on the birth certificate mean nothing compared to the custody agreement in the divorce. That's all anyone involved in the legal field would care about. Since the child has always lived with you, the  chances are pretty good that his Dad does NOT have the legal right to take off with him, it could be called kidnapping and I think you need to go to the cops. Today.  

  • Tj
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

    You need to contact the police NOW, and report it.

  • Anonymous
    2 months ago

    If there is no Court Order you both have equal custody.  I have NO idea how a Judge will rule.  You are undoubtedly in one State, and he is in another.  That presents a problem.

    I don't know if "we were able to agree on a custody agreement" means you and the father of your first two children or you and this father.  Custody Agreement means Court approved and filed, at least in my State.  The two of you can agree to just about anything, and unless it's Court approved it is NOT binding.I'm presuming you want the legal truth.  The father has two felonies and just got off parole a week ago.You, the mother, allowed a man convicted of two felonies who just got off parole a week ago to have unrestricted, unsupervised visitation with you/his child.

    You also apparently had a child with this man.

    On paper neither one of you looks "good."

    I have no idea how this will play out.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.