At what point, in private pilot training will I solo? ?

I know this is more of a question for my instructor, but I’ve logged 16-17 hours of dual instruction time in a Cessna Skyhawk. I’m curious if I’m getting close to the timeframe that most student pilots solo? I already have my student’s license. 

Nobody can guess because we haven't flown with you, but it should be soon. I've never had a student require more than that and i've been instructing since 1985. Many of my students soloed in under 10 hours. Perhaps you have a young and relatively inexperienced instructor who is overly cautious, or maybe you are flying at a tower-controlled location that is very busy and a relatively long way from a safe practice area, or perhaps you're just being strung along so they can make extra money off you. At some flight schools, such as Embry-Riddle, all students fly at least 20 hours before solo. That's just their policy. If you're that concerned, ask to fly with another instructor (or the chief instructor) and get an opinion on how you're progressing. It's your right as a student.  

When your instructor thinks you're ready, and not a second sooner. 

You will solo when you become proficient at normal landings, crosswind landings and go-around procedures. Both you and your flight instructor will know when that is.

Also you must comply with all applicable FARs and have passed all phase checks and any pre-solo written test. Hint.....It will probably be on a nice day, with a light wind, right down the runway.

Source(s): I'm a CFII