Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 2 months ago

is it worth it to cut off my parents completely and just stop talking to have nothing to do with my parents?

went through tough times and abused and neglected by my parents and now in mid 20s have become estranged from my parents and family especially when i dealt with narcisistic parents and felt like the best option is to disown my family and parents 

You can do as you please. However, it's not at all uncommon for a mid 20-something these days to practice amateur psychology and to decide their parents are "narcissistic", meaning they might just be expecting this young adult to grow up and take care of themselves. So just bear in mind that in the future you may see the error of your ways and want a relationship with these people. Leave the door open. 

• Tj

Nothing wrong with what you did. Family can be a real problem. get them and keep them out of your life, you will be much happier.

You know in some cases i think its nice tipo stay, forgive, move forward to break cycles

But after years of family using, borrowing and asking for $$$ and never there to help me....id say just keep walking...

If you childhood sucked, parents were terrible its worth your effort to keep marching and i prefered out of state.

I never called, sent cards or gifts nothing...once i left crazy i was done

Even the door semi open they wanted to borrow cash they never paid back...so it was better that they didnt know where i was.

Tried with brothers and sisters too but they were moochers taught by parents...so i left the whole bunch..got a degree, a career and a house and car...i just worry about me..my mind is free

thats up to you

You certainly can do this, but be cautious. Once you burn your bridges, there may be no going back, if you change your mind or the situation changes for the better. Meanwhile, do set proper boundaries and limits on contact, if you wish, preserve yourself and your well being as your topmost priority. Good wishes,

🥴 You're funny. 

Nothing is ever that black and white with your parents.

Do what you want but always know you can and will wake up one day thinking "I'd like to see my parents." 😄 And yes you'd have the option to go.