When can the Government shut off Utilities? ?

When can the Government shut off Utilities? I was told by an attorney that a Landlord could not shut off utilities even if you don't pay. I did not think the government could shut off your utilities unless there was a terrorist/hostage type situation such as in the movie Diehard. Now I hear that Mayors are shutting off utilities if you have a party they don't like.  Are they able to do this for an unpaid parking ticket too or any situation they want?  How can it be illegal for a landlord  to shut off utilities for nonpayment but be ok for the government for the non-crime of having a party. 

Since when was utility shut off an compliance option? 

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 4 months ago

You misunderstood the attorney.  What you said is NOT what an attorney would say.  A landlord has zero control over your utility account, as does the state and federal government.  The utility company makes that decision and if you don't pay the bill, they usually turn it off after 3 weeks or 30 days.  Then, you have to pay a re-connection fee and a deposit of $250 - $350 before they will reconnect it.  Mayors do not control utility companies.   You are confused.  Some of what you said makes no sense.  You have mixed up who, what, where and I don't know what else to tell you other than you can be evicted for having a party in a rental unit without permission to do so.

Source(s): Certified Paralegal for 25+ years & with Landlord & Tenant law experience.
  • 4 months ago

If you live in an authoritarian country or the city of Los Angeles, they can shut off your utilities if you do something the government doesn't approve of.

• Anonymous
    4 months ago

Unless the government is the provider.

Never. By a Landlord alone.

The Local Commercial provider may shut off utilities according to violation (usually non-payment) of the contract, or by Court Order.

Theft of Services can be terminated on discovery.

• 4 months ago

The government does not control utilities.  The company can suspend service if the bill is not paid.  

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.