Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsMarriage & Divorce · 2 months ago

What would you do? ?

Last night, my husband was cooking and made the comment that I should get the same liposuction procedure that my mom had on her stomach. My husband and I are in our first year of marriage. Also, we are in our late 20s and without children. I was a bit offended that he came out and told me that since I didn't ask for his opinion regarding my body. For about a month now, I've been actively exercising and changing the way that I eat. He sees the changes that I've made and it just feels discouraging when he made that comment. I've never made hurtful comments to my husband regarding his body. What would you do? When I told him that I was hurt by his comment, he said that I'm making a big deal out of nothing. 

Although his statement was not rude, I can see how it's pretty lousy especially since it was in no context.

The best you can do is explore it with him-- explain to him that women naturally have insecurities around their body image, and that it's possible get the message across about body image without resorting to extremes, and that he could have been encouraging if he told you about the benefits of exercise rather than emphasizing the scary stuff.

I would have said if you pay for it Pillsbury Dough Boy.

So,, your husband isn't entirely pleased with your figure, said as much & even mentioned something that your own mother did about her weight issue and you got offended & butt-hurt about it,,,                                                                                                                                               Frankly I think the only mistake your husband made was mentioning something you already knew,,                                                                                                                                                       After all, there are very few women if any, especially married ones lugging around a few extra pounds that actually Like being reminded of such personal things that they're typically already aware of anyway. 

thus & hence & So,

I'm suddenly reminded of the issue with my Last ExWife.

When we met & married she was tall, big-boned, roughly 160-175 lbs & anything but petite anyway,,

And then within the first year,

she'd ballooned to a fluffy 260,, 

and then within another year,

a morbidly gross "360 going on just short of 400 lbs" with chip-bags, cookie-boxes & empty junk-food packaging littering the underside of her side-o-the bed wondering why I wasn't so interested in sex anymore. 

I NEVER said a single word about her weight or gargantuan figure,,never once, Ever!

But we split-up & went our separate ways anyway and I never gave her the satisfaction of an excuse to complain that it ever had anything to do with anything insensitive I might'v otherwise thought of saying about her dumb Fat elephantine A*s!  

Supposedly, as a married couple you & your Husband are on intimate terms & should be able to speak to each-other about anything & everything including but not limited to personal stuff like health & weight issues,,, well, maybe..

So,

Go ahead & keep guilt-tripping your Hubby into being afraid to say anything that might hurt your poor wittle feewings & everything'll probably be ok,,,well, maybe..

Sounds like a rift between comfort zones...

That's tough.

IMHO when you revealed that it was a harsh statement to you... he should've apologized.

Maybe he will automatically in the next few days.

I'm 38 and have never been in a relationship - but seeing double standards how guys do almost nothing and their girlfriends are told that they need to do this and that really puzzles me... but they do say that nice guys finish last and that is so true... so far.

tell him exactly how you feel.................

Tell him to go to hell.

• Ocimom

Tell him that you didn't ask for his opinion and what he said was hurtful to you.

Tell him he should work out with you. It's not easy and you already on the right path if you started your fitness journey.  Don't let him discourage you. Men are assholes. You are doing great! Keep it up!💪💞

Sit him down and have a conversation about how that made you feel and why it’s discouraging especially as a husband for him to say something like that. If he still defends his view, I would keep record of that if I’m considering a divorce in the future 

It was thoughtless remark. But dont let it bother you too much. He may love you much. Guys can be dumb.

Source(s): married for decades