Nursing School?

I want to go back to school for nursing. My husband and I have 2 kids together. Both under the age of 2. We are done having kids. I am currently a stay-at-home mom. My husband doesn't seem too supportive of me going back to school. He keeps saying that it will be too expensive and that I shouldn't have to worry about money. But thankfully I've saved some money to get me back to school for at least the first 2 years to help me start back then hopefully get help with the rest of the money. Obviously the cost of school can always change. I'm not too worried about money having money for us since we hardly spend money besides bills, but if something ever happens to my husband to where he can no longer work or is no longer with us I need to be able to take care of our kids. I do not have a degree. The reason why I want to go into nursing is because I feel like that's where I'm meant to be and that I'm meant to help people. I wouldn't go back to school until they were in school. Can anyone who is in nursing, is trying to become a nurse, or is going back to school give me advice? What should I do?

If you've got dependable child care you might be able to do this now. Many moms would wait until the kids are school aged. While it's admirable for you to want to earn your own money you and your husband also MUST invest in life insurance. That's what responsible parents do while they're working on other ways to increase their household income. 

It's a grueling program.  I had one child and a working husband, and it was tough!  Some classes were offered evenings only.

If you want to be a Nurse, try it.  You enroll and pay and things don't work out, well,  you've learned something and wait for a better time to get your education.

If both of your children are under the age of two, it sounds is if you're far off from having to make this decision. Why don't you start with a few online courses. Many schools are online-only during COVID. You could start with one class and see how you do. If you do it through your local community college (assuming they have nursing), then the credits will count if you go back full time at some point. Even when both kids are in school, you are still going to have to miss classes if they have snow days, sick days or vacation. So you're going to need to wait until they're a bit older than just 5 or 6 or line up a family member to help so you can achieve your dream. You absolutely should have a way to earn your own money. Otherwise you are a financial hostage to your marriage instead of a willing participant. It's not only if he dies but if he ever becomes disabled or he finds a younger model. But you can start slow. You can become an LPN in two years and then go back for your RN later. Or you could become an EMT or CNA until you can work your way to a 4 year program. Most people are going to want you to have the four year RN or all you'll be able to get is per diem work. Start slow. Start with a few classes to make sure you can handle the math and science required. It's a great profession and the average age of women returning to nursing is actually 50.