Would this alternative to A/C be practical and would you consider it?

The water coming out my 4" pipe drilled into the mountainside is 55*F (in the Summer) and has sufficient pressure that I don't need to pump it into the storage tank.

What say I tap into the pipe at the rock face, run it through a liquid-to-air heat exchanger and use it for air conditioning part of the house. All I would need power for is the air circulation fan and the ductwork is already in place from the furnace.

How large an exchanger would be required to cool approx. 2,000 sq ft of living space

@ princess pounder Lv 7 --------- How much colder. The air coming out of my neighbors vents is 58-60 *F and his A/C guy says that's within acceptable limits !!

You have a steady flow of water coming out of a 4 inch pipe? Wow, that's a lot of water! Not sure if you're asking about the heat exchanger because you have one sitting around or what, but.. With that kind of flow, if there is any amount of drop in elevation, I'd do a water wheel and generate electric.

depends significantly on your insulation, climate, wind exposure, and sun exposure -- none of which we know.  A heating/cooling engineer can calculate the amount of heat the water can absorb ... suppose it is ten degrees [F] times the per minute volume flow and assume that is the maximum effect you can get. Now, what is the rate of heat gain that it must offset [in worst summer ever]?  My offhand guess is that, despite the greater heat density of water over air, there isn't enough available water flow to accomplish much.

Yes it will work.   At one time there was an AC that ran a flexible hose loop thru the incoming water pipe out into the city water main.   The water in the main was cold and would cool the water in the loop of pipe and that would be used to cool the house.   The problem is if enough houses did it the water in the main would get warm which would speed rusting of the water main and growth of bacteria so it was banned.  If you have a source of cold water you can make it work.   Good idea.  

55 deg F will not cut it.  You need "chilled water" that is just above freezing.  If the air coming out of the vents is 55 deg F, the cooling medium should be 20 deg lower.  In a conventional AC system, the refrigerant is at 35 to 40 deg F at the evaporator.

• Droopy

It could work at 55 not gonna really be cool enough to remove much if any humidity.   But if your not in the South then it might be dry enough that that would work fine.  as far as coil size 3, 3.5 ton coil

It wouldnt do much. The coolant needs to be way cooler than that to have much effect.