Anonymous
Anonymous asked in TravelUnited StatesNew York City · 2 months ago

What do you think when you hear a New York accent?

• Lili

I think, "That's a New York accent". What else would I think?

Actually, there are several such accents, so sometimes I recognize the specific part of New York the person is from.

• F

As a Brit , we see enough US tv to recognise a NY accent. Unlike moronic American tourists, who think I must know everyone in London,  I would not ask if you knew my friend who lives there.

Of a wonderful time I spent in  NY back in 1992. New Yorkers loved my Australian accent (Not an accent often heard in those days.) and where very friendly. Great City which I would like to return to one day. 

• KFC

A New Yorker/Italian accent "HEY I'M WALKING HERE"

• Zapata

As a Red Sox fan, I get physically ill.

There are several "New York" accents-- which one are you referring to? What we consider "standard English" became encoded in textbook that originated in the northeast (where there were sufficient concentrations of children to justify printing textbooks) and later turned into "media" English because radio and tv came first from New York. So many New Yorkers, by definition, speak what is now considered standard academic English. In areas where there were large settlements of immigrants after the two World Wars, the accent was affected by influences from the immigrants' native languages. The lack of the "th" sounds in Brooklyn, for example, come from the fact that those sounds don't exist in most other languages. Communities were formed by those immigrants, so concentrations of them affected the accents in different areas differently. The Queens accent is different from the Brooklyn accent, and so on. So you need to be a little more specific in your question--- and a little less snotty. 

• hihi!

I don't hear accents. For all my life I have by chance and choice spoken with foreigners (N'yarkers are feriners to Texas). In college a lady said "perhaps it is my accent" when I asked "What?" I then said "what accent", she said "you're joking! I'm German."

Among others, I can "see" LA, CA, NY, MA, MS, as all have different accents, IF I LISTEN FOR THEM!

I think of that show "The Nanny"

I think I am home. 

i have mainly heard it in cabs ...those cabbies have a great sense of humour