Is Rin a good nickname for Katherine?

I really like it but I've never heard of any Katherines going by Rin before. Another aspect is that my best friends have known me by Katherine for several years - will they be able to adjust to Rin, which doesn't start with the same letter or anything?

Any help greatly appreciated! Also if you know any other unusual nicknames for Katherine (I know Kate, Katie, Kathy etc) please let me know.

I really don't know whether to do it or not - please help me decide!!

@Semiconsious, I dont want to get into an argument or anything but actually i'd be fine calling them Odor if they asked me to :)

• Snid

I like Rin but you might have a hard time getting people to use it.  I think people will use the more traditional Kate, Katie, and Kathy.  I think Kat is a cute nickname.

I think if you just say, "Hey, I'd like to be called Rin now. I know it could take some getting used to, but I'd appreciate your efforts, thanks." Other possibilities for common nicknames: Kitty, Erin, Kat, Katia, Kit, Kath, Kia

No, that's just stupid and nicknames don't work like that. If someone were named Theodore, would you expect to call him "Odor" ??

You can be called Kat. Rin is a terrible nickname.