Is old battery leakage dangerous?

I just found an old battery in my bedside table that had leaked. There's this brown, rust looking stuff covering some of the things in it and on the bottom of the cabinet. It's covering my razor and my contact lens box. Obviously I can't use them again, but is it important that I clean this up immediately. I've got a busy week.

I'm thinking that because it's so old, the dangerous stuff is gone by now and what's left is just the corrosion. Is this wrong and dumb?

Yes’m, since this is just battery acid.

Some batteries become leak after years even without being used (idling). those batteries contain toxic alkaline liquid ( turns into white power) able to eat away skin. Take it out and wash the battery holder with warm water. If no trace of rust on holder and wire joint, device can be used again ( wait a few days to let it dry ). 

No, it isn't dangerous.  

The mess can be effectively cleaned up with the aid of plain cold water. 

YES its dangerous. use baking soda/powder mixed in water to neutralize it before cleaning up. use a lot of paper towels or disposable napkins.

Dont clean with any potentially dangerous chemicals either. you dont want to mix dangerous substances.

USE GLOVES of some kind. even wearing socks or something over your hands would be better than bare hands.