Mike asked in Education & ReferenceQuotations · 2 months ago

How should I send this to someone dealing with depression?

I'm at the point now where I can't be there for this girl I love anymore because her lack of response, and I know not by choice, is starting to effect my health. 

I know technically you should be there for people during their hard times and really I've tried, but it hurts me so much to feel disregarded and feel no love from her anymore. And I know it's not by choice, but it still hurts the same way. 

Our relationship right now is also long distance too, although she'll be moving to my area in two months for business, so that doesn't make it any easier. 

Anyways I was going to send her one last message and than stop, but wanted to get you opinion

She's a big Harry Potter fan so I was going to leave her with this quote, "Happiness can be found, even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light". 

My question is should I explain what the quote means to her as I'm concerned she may take it the wrong way that I'm saying just flip the switch and be happy. Or should I just send the quote as it is and not explain the meaning. 

Technically what this quote means isn't that you should just be happy.  What it truly means is that no matter how dark your battles can get, there is always a light. There is always something worth continuing for. 

J.K Rowling actually battled with depression too, so she has motivational quotes in her  various Harry Potter books. 

These things are very hard. If she isn't in treatment, she needs to be, and you could probably benefit from it yourself, to cope with breaking up, if that's what you decide. If you decide to stay with her, check out Depression Anonymous, which is like Alcoholics Anonymous - free, non-intrusive and not overly religious.

I think it comes down to what you want the end results to be. If your truly done with the situation then a quote from her favorite book is a nice gesture but not necessary, especially if you feel you have to explain the quote.  If you don't see a future with this girl then I would just break it off. She might be heartbroken and depressed but in the end she should get over it and move on, and if not its her problem not yours. Life is too short to exhaust yourself over the problems of others. I'm not saying don't be sympathetic and help others, but it can sometimes be a never ending revolving door.

If she has expressed at any point looking forward to seeing you when she moves close by, don’t break up with her yet because it could make her way more depressed. It’s possible that being close to you will make her feel a lot better and you should wait and see, even knowing you’re there will raise her spirits a little during the moving process. That’s my advice anyway but maybe you can’t wait that long. Anyway yeah I think you should say something after the quote if you do send it because it really does sound like you’re just telling her to flip a switch that she can’t flip.