Lucie asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 2 months ago

How to preserve processed cheese slices?

I have about three packages of Kraft cheese slices that were given to me (for reasons that I won't go into) and I don't eat the kinds of dishes that require them like grilled cheese, hamburgers, etc., etc.

I don't like the taste so I won't eat them but I also don't like having to throw them out because they are actually costly here.

Do you think that there is a way to preserve them? I can't find anything online that shows how to preserve processed cheese slices. I'm not looking for recipes on how to use them because I find them disgusting but I would eat them if I had nothing else to eat. Perhaps I could store them for such use and then eventually will have to throw them out if that never happens.

Also, I don't have animals to feed them to, either.

I'm going to take the advice from your answers and offer them to people that may want them. I don't think that our local foodbank will accept refrigerated items because of the new regulations regarding the virus. Thank you for taking the time to offer your suggestions.

I considered the freezing option but as someone said, I most like will end up using space and throwing them out anyway and I'm trying to avoid waste when others are going hungry.

Don't open the packages and just leave them in your fridge. They really will last for a long, long time that way, since there isn't much real food ingredients in them. I did think of one thing tho, could you maybe give them to someone who will eat them, or maybe a foodbank so they don't go to waste? Seems a shame that they don't get used somehow. Just a thought...

• denise

You could take it to a 'welfare kitchen', they'll probably be able to make use of it.

Could you give them to friends or neighbours, who may like to use them in packed lunches? If they are still sealed/unopened they will not carry any the virus, any bacteria or other infections.

• CB

Find a family with kids in your neighborhood and give the processed milk products to them - or see if any of your friends. family, colleagues would be interested, you aren't going to eat it what is the point of using up freezer space until they are unusable? 

• A

you can freeze cheese, it is crumbly when defrosted but can be used to make cheese sauces