Lucie asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 2 months ago

How to preserve processed cheese slices?

I have about three packages of Kraft cheese slices that were given to me (for reasons that I won't go into) and I don't eat the kinds of dishes that require them like grilled cheese, hamburgers, etc., etc.

I don't like the taste so I won't eat them but I also don't like having to throw them out because they are actually costly here.

Do you think that there is a way to preserve them? I can't find anything online that shows how to preserve processed cheese slices. I'm not looking for recipes on how to use them because I find them disgusting but I would eat them if I had nothing else to eat. Perhaps I could store them for such use and then eventually will have to throw them out if that never happens.

Also, I don't have animals to feed them to, either.

Update:

I'm going to take the advice from your answers and offer them to people that may want them. I don't think that our local foodbank will accept refrigerated items because of the new regulations regarding the virus. Thank you for taking the time to offer your suggestions.

I considered the freezing option but as someone said, I most like will end up using space and throwing them out anyway and I'm trying to avoid waste when others are going hungry.

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago
    Favourite answer

Don't open the packages and just leave them in your fridge. They really will last for a long, long time that way, since there isn't much real food ingredients in them. I did think of one thing tho, could you maybe give them to someone who will eat them, or maybe a foodbank so they don't go to waste? Seems a shame that they don't get used somehow. Just a thought...

• denise
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

You could take it to a 'welfare kitchen', they'll probably be able to make use of it.

• 2 months ago

Could you give them to friends or neighbours, who may like to use them in packed lunches? If they are still sealed/unopened they will not carry any the virus, any bacteria or other infections.

• CB
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Find a family with kids in your neighborhood and give the processed milk products to them - or see if any of your friends. family, colleagues would be interested, you aren't going to eat it what is the point of using up freezer space until they are unusable? 

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • A
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

you can freeze cheese, it is crumbly when defrosted but can be used to make cheese sauces

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.