Savannah asked in PetsFish · 2 months ago

what's the easiest fish to care for?

please gives lots of details too and thank you.

Thanks for all the answers :)

Depends, I am going to be going over my personal opinion over various different tank sizes

1) 1 - 3 gallon super nano aquarium:

well... not really a fish but shrimp are so easy to care for. A small sponge-filter and a heater will do just fine. You won't even have to feed them everyday, although you could if you really want to ensure survival. It is very cheap imo you could also add some extremely easy plants like java moss and just change the water once a week and you're done! The specific shrimp in question would be ghost shrimp or cherry shrimp but not both together.

2) 5 - 10 gallon nano and 20 - 25 gallon for larger groups

guppies. guppies tolerate such a wide range of water it's insane. some might say betta fish but imo guppies are much easier since they eat pretty much anything. literally you could just put de-chlorinated water in your aquarium, and (although you should always fully cycle your tank to ensure optimal conditions) you wouldn't even have to fully cycle the tank before putting them in, and change the water once a week and that's it. nothing else. guppies can literally tolerate even saltwater..

3) 30+ gallons

zebra danios. if you kill zebra danios in a 30 gallon tank and change the water once a week then you're lying, the only way they could've died is from being murdered

4) 50+ gallons

common goldfish.

Moor fish and mojo loaches 

Goldfish.    . 

• Edwena

The easiest fish is the common comet goldfish.  But I would upgrade to fantails.  Buy 2 fantails that look different so you can recognize them.  Get 2 because they are social animals and need to live in a school.  Go to the pet store and look at the fish and the equipment before you buy.  Get someone to show you how to put it together.  The smallest tank is about 5 gallons, but bigger is better.  Get as large of an aquarium as you can, depending upon where you can set it up.  You have to plan and think about what you are doing.   Set it up near a drain and water tap and learn how to use hoses (and pump) to move the water.  Buy a good filter sized for larger than the aquarium that circulates the water and removes impurities and gases from the water.  The cheapest and best food is a can of cooked peas.  You will have to eventually eat the rest of the peas, so it is good for you, too.  Get some books and read up on how to start an aquarium before you do it. Figure out the problems you will have and what you will do to work around the problems.  For example. Noise from an air bubbler could be distracting to some people. One of the best places for an aquarium is on the kitchen cabinet next to the sink.  But mom will object to that location.

• kswck2

It really depends on a couple of factors, like how much room you have, how big a tank you want to take on, how attentive you will be To the tank. 

Larger tanks are usually easier to take care of, but if you get a disease in the tank, it will take longer to clear it up. 

If you are new to having an aquarium, I would suggest a 20 gallon tank and cheap fish like guppies, not a 125 gallon tank with sharks. 

My Dad used to breed Fancy Tailed guppies, and had 65  2 1/2 gallon tanks in the basement. His show tank was only 20 gallons. My first apartment had a 14 gallon hexagonal tank-till it popped (Never put a fish tank near a window-the heat from the sun will eventually weaken the tank). And I moved up to a 38, now a 75 gallon tank. I want a 125 gallon tank, but am not sure the flooring will support it. 

But with a 75, water changes are about once per month, I also over filter the water-two Excalibur 400's, instead of one. Just rinse the filters and put them back in. I do an overhaul of the entire tank three times per year-a 3 hour job. And most of the fish that do die, die of old age instead of disease. 

You also need to keep in mind that when buying fish, fish stores sell Small fish, in a larger tank with larger fish, they may consider the new ones as Food. 

It really just depends on how much work you want to put into it. But do your homework first. You need to 'cycle' a tank. You need to keep a water testing kit. You need to take care of your fish. 

Not a fish, but sea-monkeys.