Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentGovernment · 1 month ago

Republic versus representative democracy? Are these in the same category or what is the difference ?

I don’t mean to hear the different political viewpoints I just want to know what a republic means.. I don’t see a difference between a republic and representative democracy you have to keep in mind these terms were just introduced to me so ya it makes no sense to me 

The word 'republic' comes from 'public', which is Latin for 'the people'.  The word 'democracy' comes from the Greek 'demos', which means 'the people'. BOTH words mean RULE BY THE PEOPLE.

But the words have been used differently.  Dictatorships like Russia and China call themselves 'republics' because originally the word was meant to mean simply 'not a kingdom'.  When we had our revolution, we wanted a 'republic', but our own founding fathers only had a vague idea how that would shape up.  The federal system we have now is only one of several ideas that were discussed.

When you talk of 'democracy', we all learned in middle school that there are two kinds--a 'pure' or 'direct' democracy, where every citizen gets a vote on every issue, and a 'representative' democracy, where we elect leaders presumably to represent our own views.

For decades now, the Republicans have been insisting that the US is not, was never a democracy, that we were always a republic.  And that is, as Joe would say, total malarkey.  Both parties purport to be following 'the will of the people'.  You'll never hear a Republican congressman or senator say "Well, 80% of the people in my state are on this side of this issue.  But this is not a democracy, it's a republic! So I'm going this other way."  Even Republican legislators at least pretend to be following the will of their people, even if they're lying (which they do often).