Amanda
Amanda asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 1 month ago

Was she nasty?

When I was paying for something at the cash register, I asked the clerk if they had this particular stuffed animal. She answered, "Uh…was it in the window?" I answered, "No." "Then, we don't have it!" she replied.

• Daisy

I guess the 'nastiness' would depend upon the tone of voice she used when she answered your question.   I think the response was a bit blunt and maybe curt, but not nasty.  She probably should have offered an explanation like "Everything we have is in the window. So, if it's not in the window, I'm sorry, we don't have it."  Then, maybe offer to order for you if that service is available?   

• John P

Depends on your personal definition of 'nasty'. I might say 'offhand' or 'casual' but certainly not 'nasty'.

• denise

She wasn't very helpful,  the staff manager would have said to the clerk [when she was first being trained] to say 'I'll just check for you', to keep the customer happy, then when the item wasn't in stock, offer an alternative.

Her attitude is not going to keep customers coming back! 

• East

Yes, her attitude was out of line.  

• e9601:

No, she wasn't nasty. Don't take it personally.

sounds like she was

Nasty can imply spite, and it is more likely this Clerk was simply having a bad day.  In that moment, she chose to take out her frustration on you.

She was a little brisk. No worse than that, and certainly neither rude nor nasty.

• A little rude maybe, but not worth taking personal. 

Cashiers have to put up with a number of trying or repetitive questions. It can wear on them after awhile. Especially if overworked.

she does sound rude

A little rude, depending on her tone.