Mom Cookers: do u buy frozen veggies, boxed rice, boxed pasta for sides for the meal u cooked or do u use all fresh ingredients ?

Example: Cook salmon, but use frozen broccoli for the side or buy fresh broccoli.

Why or why not

I use all of those things, depending on the meal and what is available at that time of year. If fresh veg is available I go with that, but if it is out of season I will use frozen. Packaged sides are always a good go to as they liven up a meal that otherwise would be a bit bland.

• kswck2

Always fresh. Better taste, better availability-at least around here. 

I'm not a mom but I'll give my 2 cents regardless...

I use frozen vegetables all the time and there's nothing wrong with frozen vegetables. I find it more economical to use frozen over fresh. Buy a big bag of broccoli and use it until you're ready for it. It won't go bad. When you buy fresh, you have X amount of days to use it before it's not good anymore.

For rice, I just get a bag of jasmine rice. It only takes about 15 minutes to cook and you can add tomato sauce or cook it in chicken stock to change it up.

And for pasta, depends on the day of the week really. I like those Amish style bagged pasta for a weeknight. On the weekend, I'll make fresh. Especially if I'm making chicken soup. Always use homemade noodles for chicken soup.

There are some strange assumptions in your question. Frozen vegetables can actually be healthier than fresh ones- because they are frozen immediately after picking. "Fresh" ones have often been shipped great distances, and then sat around in the grocery store while the nutrients deteriorate. If you buy from a local farmer's market and use them immediately, then the fresh would be as nutritious as the frozen. There's no such thing as "fresh" rice- it all comes in boxes or bags. And with pasta, even the great chefs use dried pasta for some applications. Dried angel hair pasta is much better than fresh, for example, and dried pasta often holds up better to sauces. 

Depends. I usually buy frozen corn, peas, green beans, and sliced carrots, but I'll also buy fresh corn if its summer, and fresh carrots if I'm going to eat them raw. I never make fresh pasta. That's just a waste of time for me. By boxed rice do you mean flavored rice like uncle Ben's or similar? I get flavored rice for taco nights and for.a casserole I make with leftover chicken but that's it.