Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationBuying & Selling · 6 months ago

Subaru Outback in snow? ?

I was thinking of my first car, and I thought about getting an old Outback. I was a bit worried about the snow though as we have terrible winters here. My mom used to have a Toyota Camry Solara and she had an awful time in the snow and often got stuck. Would an Outback do better? 

• F

Subaru’s are great in the snow ( with winter tyres) and although the ground clearance is not as high as a SUV chances are the roads will be blocked anyway if the clearance is not enough.

Mechanically Subaru’s are normally reliable, but watch out for rust on older ones.

• ?

Subaru's are all wheel drive and do great in the snow.

• fuzzy

I don't know about the newer ones but the older Superpoos were great, you could just turn off the road into a field and drive thru it.

With anything "old" mechanical condition needs to be your first concern.  You can get a 4 wheel drive but it might not work.

• ?

Where is " we have terrible winters here. "  Unless you are getting several feet of snow each storm, you can use just about any vehicle you want -- IF YOU KNOW HOW TO DRIVE.

Tell me where you are, then I can make suggestions.

i dont see anything wrong with getting one

A bit, but not much. 

The main thing about going through snow isn’t grip, but clearance. An Outback has a bit more clearance than a Camry, but not a huge amount. It’s nowhere near that of a body-on-frame SUV or full size pickup truck. 

Also, things like All Wheel Drive only make you able to drive in conditions you probably shouldn’t. Every car has steering and four wheel brakes. The AWD car is encumbered by higher weight, higher unsprung weight, higher centre of gravity, and suspension geometry that’s compromised by needing to have all wheels powered. 

That’s why in all my years of driving Canadian winters and mountain passes in primarily RWD and FWD cars, most of the vehicles I’ve seen in the ditch have been AWD or 4WD—quite often on a straight stretch where they broke all four loose trying to pass a line of “slower” cars. 

Overconfidence in Motion. 

Buy the best set of winter tires you can afford, and if the FWD car you own can’t go through the snow—it’s too dangerous to drive, period.