Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Home & GardenMaintenance & Repairs · 2 months ago

How to clean oven?

I just moved Into my first apartment alone and the oven is very dirty and I want to clean it. It’s an election oven/stove. What do I use to clean it? Please don’t judge I don’t have family or friends with experience to ask.

Update:

I meant electric. It’s older so it does not have a self clean option.

21 Answers

Relevance
  • denise
    Lv 7
    2 months ago
    Favourite answer

There are some good cleaning scourers / sprays on the market ['Cillit Bang' is a good all round spray].

I'd give it a good spray [plenty on] and leave it to start its work [maybe 30 minutes] then go back to it, take out the shelves [maybe to scrub in the sink, if they fit], Hopefully, some of the 'dirt' will have run down onto the oven base.

Scrape/wipe it out onto newspaper [on the floor], then get in and clean the cavity as best you can, wipe with a clean damp cloth, replace shelves when cleaned.  Wear good rubber gloves!

• Mr. P
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

If it is bad, use a spray-on oven cleaner, but a good trick with that is to cover it with clingfilm while it soaks in.

This reduces the fumes/odour and it works faster without drying out. Leave overnight on tough areas. Clean off and repeat if needed.

• 1 month ago

We just use oven cleaner from the store, the cheap stuff works fine. Just follow the directions on the can.

• WOOWHO
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

ELECTION ( noun ) a formal Choice by Vote

ELECTRIC current /  power  form of energy  

GE a oven manufacturer  suggest SOAP , WATER and a Scouring pad there are also commercial spray products  sold at   stores  such as ' easy off ' with instructions for use

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 2 months ago

One way is with a spray-on chemical oven cleaner you buy in the cleaning products aisle at your local grocery store. Easy-Off makes a "fume free" version that works well. Another way is by spreading a paste of baking soda and vinegar on your oven walls and floors and letting it sit overnight, then wiping it off with a rag or sponge and clean, fresh water until it's all gone. You can use Steel-wood soap pads, like SOS or Brillo pads to remove very stubborn burnt-on spots. 

Whatever you use, you do not have to unplug the stove or oven first. You just put the cleaner on the dirty spots--and don't use anything that will scratch the enamel on the outside of the stove or burners--and let it work for a while, then clean it off using clean water and rags or sponges. Don't heat the oven up again until all the cleaner is off. 

• Zapata
    Lv 6
    2 months ago

1. Make sure the oven is switched off at the wall. Begin by taking out all the oven racks to get them out of the way. Using a paper towel or an old cloth, remove all those little bits of burnt food from the base of your oven, wiping the bits straight into a dust-pan or bin if possible. The more you remove now, the less you'll have to get rid of later.

2. As far as I'm concerned the best oven cleaner you can ever buy is baking soda. That's right! Baking soda might seem simple and unassuming, but it'll make very light work of removing old grease and grime from your oven. Obviously, you could spend a lot more on an expensive chemical-based oven cleaning product (there are lots of them available), but baking soda is much cheaper, more natural, not toxic, and equally effective as any chemical oven cleaner.  To get started with your homemade oven cleaner, just mix up half a cup of baking soda with a little water to form a thick paste. Spread the paste all over the bottom and sides of your oven (but try to avoid the electric heating elements, which are usually at the top of the oven). I'd strongly advise putting on some rubber gloves and using your fingers to make really sure the paste mixture gets everywhere, including the really stubborn caked-on dirt! Once you done that, leave it alone to work overnight. I'll tell you what happens next in a moment.

3. Now it's time to do those oven racks you removed earlier. Pour some clothes washing powder into a shallow bath of very hot water and put your oven racks into it overnight to soak. Next day all the grease and grime will be very easy to remove with a little scrub. Not much effort involved, and nice and easy! 

4. Now for the glass panel in the oven door. Use the same baking soda and water mixture you used for the inside of the oven and apply the paste to the inside of your oven window. Let it sit for an hour then, using a cloth, wipe the window clean. 

5. Whilst you're at it, you may as well give the stove top a quick once over.  Mix together the following ingredients:1 tablespoon of salt, 1 tablespoon of baking soda, and 1 tablespoon of water. Scrub the top of your stove with this mixture and then wipe it clean - easy! 

6. Now, let's get back to the inside of the oven. You left the paste to work overnight and it's now the next day. With a damp cloth, wipe away the dried paste. You can use a rubber or wooden spatula (not metal - that may damage the oven) if you need an extra hand to remove the paste.Finally, pour some vinegar into a spray bottle and spritz any areas that still have baking soda paste on them. Grab your damp cloth again and wipe any excess bits away. After a quick scrub of your oven racks, place them back in the oven. And that's it!

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

try Easy Off................................

• drip
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

If you  are sure there is no self clean - my over is 20 years old and has a self clean cycle - 

Then buy Easy off for ovens. 

You may want to ask the office if the oven had a clean cycle on it,

• Droopy
    Lv 5
    2 months ago

Does the oven have a clean option?  If so remove the racks if you leave them in it will damage them.  Then shut oven you might have to manually lock it in the front depending on age of it.  Then select the oven clean option.   It takes hours but you will only have to clean the ash out of the bottom.   You might still need to clean few places but for the most part it cleans it.

• 2 months ago

Easy Off or similar oven cleaner.  likely cheapest place is Walmart.  House brand works just as well, btw.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.