Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsCats · 1 month ago

How many times do I need to clean my cat's litterbox?

After a couple of days, the smell becomes intolerable. Please help.

17 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

You clean it every time they poop and deep clean it once a week.

• 1 month ago

If the smell bothers you after a couple days, clean it out! It's really a simple equation here. Clean it when you WANT to.  And you might consider another type of litter. 

I use Cedarific litter--you can get it on Amazon.  It's a little more expensive, but it lasts a LOT longer, smells a whole lot better and you will clean it less often. 

• Ocimom
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

The litter box should be scooped out at least daily if not twice a day to remove the solid waste and to stir up the wet part.  Once a week you should completely dump the litter and wash out the pan.

You do not need to put more then an inch or two of litter in the pan.  People tend to put way too much litter in the pan and it gets too messy.

We use wood stove pellets or horse bedding pellets (same thing) for litter and its a lot cleaner and less smelly.

• 1 month ago

How often do you flush the toilet?  There's your clue.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 1 month ago

You can stop cleaning it right after you stop having an indoor cat, but since you love your kitty, you're gonna have to deal with the sh*tty. The faster you clean out the box after your cat uses it, the lower the stench will be. If you're waiting 2 or 3 days before you're cleaning the litter box it's no wonder it stinks to high heavens.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

After each use. Get a sand sifter & sift the sand, put the waste in a grocery bag & tie off. Don't let the sand get low. I buy the 40 lbs box & go through that in a couple of weeks.

Dump the sand into a black 40 lbs plastic bag & put that in the trash. Wash the litter box, soap & water. Let the box completely dry. Then put in 20lbs of kitty litter. Then scoop it after each use.

Lv 7
    1 month ago

You should scoop any waste out of the box at least once a day and dispose of it. The frequency with which you dump out the litter and replace it fully and scrub down the box varies by litter type, but usually every 1-4 weeks. 

• 1 month ago

Every time your cat uses it

• 1 month ago

Honestly you should clean it every day, I know it's a pain but if you want it to smell better you have to clean it constantly. Some people clean it multiple times a day, but once should be enough. Baking soda helps with neutralizing the smell, sprinkle some into the litter every now & then helps a lot. You also have to totally dump the litter often enough, even if it looks all fresh- if it's stinking after you clean it, it needs to be dumped out and replaced with all fresh litter. 

• jean
    Lv 4
    1 month ago

get the kitty litter that helps get rid of the smell.also when he does a poo or wee dig it out of the litter box and throw out

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.