Can I move states with a probationary driver’s license?

I am planning on finally starting the process of getting my (22F) license in NJ before I move to NC. 

Can I move states while I have a probationary license? Or would I have to wait until I get my basic driver’s license?


Additionally, if I got my license in NJ—would I have to retake the test when I move to NC?

3 Answers

  • 2 months ago
    Favourite answer

    Yes, you can move to another state any time you want.  Your class of licence won't stop you.

    But normally, you can't transfer a graduated-level licence to your new state.  You can transfer a 'full' licence, but not a graduated level.  If you're still in the graduated program (learner, intermediate, etc), you have to start over as a new applicant in your new jurisdiction.

    The exact rules vary by state, and I didn't feel like looking up the exact rules for NJ drivers moving to NC, but you can be pretty sure you'll have to start over.

    NOTE: Not all 'full' licenses can be transferred from any state to any other.  It depends on the new state's minimum qualifications.

  • May
    Lv 6
    2 months ago

    No.  probationary licenses are not recognized by other states.

  • Anonymous
    2 months ago

    If you move with your probationary license you'll have to go through the whole licensing thing over again by taking a NC written test and road test. If you wait to get the unrestricted license in NJ, then you only have to take the written test to get an unrestricted license in NC. 

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.