Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiseases & ConditionsInfectious Diseases · 2 months ago

I got the coronavirus back in June and I recovered from it.?

Yesterday, I started coughing a little bit and my throat is a little scratchy. Is it possible to get the coronavirus again?

• Edna

Yes - you can contract corona virus several times - just like you can contract the flu virus several times.  After all, corona virus is a VIRUS, and you can contract a virus over and over again.

Corona virus isn't a "new" illness. Doctors in the U.S. are very familiar with it and have been treating cases of  corona virus for over 80 years. Many of those patients have contracted corona virus several times.

There have been reports of some people catching it twice.  But it's probably another disease.  Not all respiratory problems right now are covid.  You could have the flu or even just the common cold

I was just looking at a website that listed several lingering effects of COVID, and having an occasional cough is one of them. There have, so far, been no reported cases of people getting COVID twice, so that's very unlikely.  It's also possible that your symptoms are from allergies. Try one of the over the counter nasal sprays from your drugstore. 

No.   A guy who had SARS in '03 has shown immunity to COVID-19 and they're only 78% the same.  So I would think that your anibodies would still be working. 

I've gotten a dry cough and bronchitis from having to wear a mask.

I think that not enough time has passed for us to know for sure.

Going on what I have heard and read, it is believed that people who get coronavirus and recover from it have some immune response to it for a time, but we don't know how long that time is. It might be only 3 months or less.

Short answer is, we don't know. And we have no idea what the long-term effects of coronavirus are. If you think you are becoming sick again, get tested. If you have it for a second time, then not only are you better off knowing so that you can isolate and protect others, you might also be providing useful information as someone who has caught it a second time.

June is not that long ago, I would be surprised if you re-caught coronavirus after such a short time. Anyway, go get tested.