Why do these companies always hire people who barely speak English?

Yesterday, I had made an appointment to have a new wall air conditioner unit installed in my bedroom because the old one stopped working. So this Spanish guy that was supposed to do the job came into my room, looked at it and said in a very heavy Spanish accent, “Ohhhhh you need contractor”, and something else about the roof I couldn’t understand because of his accent. Again, why do these companies hire these people who barely speak English and possibly came here illegally?

• 3 days ago

Get working hours for US store https://coenraets.com

Installing a window air conditioner isn't rocket science. There's loads of "how to" videos on YouTube.

• Equal opportunites comes to mind.

Accent and language is different. He speaks a bit of English, but with a heavy accent.

How do you know he is there illegally?

I do empathise though, because when you phone and get someone who can not understand you or you cannot understand them, things get very complicated.

Having lived in a different speaking country for many years, my ears tend to be tuned into different accents and when I went back briefly to my native country, I actually felt more comfortable around those who were not English lol

• RICK

Installing  a widow type unit is a job anyone can do themselves in about 15 minutes (thats 10 minutes to remove the old one and 5 minutes to install the new one

Maybe he was the owner of the company.

He could be the best HVAC guy in your city.

If you didn't understand him and there was a need for  you to understand him (i.e. you are the owner of the property) why didn't you ask him to clarify.

You can't install a window unit?  smh

Because they have no other options, other than closing down the business.  Those who speak English well either won't take the jobs or insist on being paid more than the companies can afford.  Business prefer to hire workers who speak English well, but they can't always do that.  It's sometimes said that there are no jobs that Americans won't do, just jobs that they won't do for what the businesses want to pay, which is sort of true, except many of the business can't afford to pay any more; they'd lose money and go bankrupt, and that the Americans won't do the jobs fast enough; some farms that haven't been able to get enough illegal workers have found that most of the food rots because legal workers don't harvest it quickly enough.