Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 6 months ago

***How do I handle frozen raw beef?

***This is the first time I'm handling any raw meat

So I'm trying to make lasagna from binging with babish. I had 2 completely frozen ground beef packets. So I opened 1 (I Shouldn't have even opened it) and I left it to thaw a little over an hour. The other one I left to thaw a little over an hour (I didn't open the packaging) I just learned that this was the wrong way to thaw meat, so now I'm completely confused. I put the packaged one back in the freezer and I don't know what to do with the other opened one. please help.

Is the beef packet that is back in the freezer safe? Is the one outside safe? I'm totally confused.

If it hasnt turning greyish and doesnt smell funny its fine just brown it well after you thaw it.

• ?

You should put both of them in a plastic bag in the fridge and continue to thaw them. 

• kswck2

There are a couple of ways to properly defrost meat. One is in the refrigerator overnight, another is under Cold running water, the third is in the microwave(but with this method you need to cook it immediately). 

Now THOSE are the Proper ways. What many folks do at home is just let it thaw on a countertop for an hour or so, and then put it back in the fridge just before it hits room temperature. 

So what you did is fine. You can use the ground beef, It will heat up well beyond proper temperature once the finished lasagna is heated in the oven. 

Use the open one in your lasagna. There is nothing wrong with it. Just so you know from now on, if you want to thaw meat of any kind, the safest way to do it is to put it in a container on the lowest shelf of your fridge (glass container if possible), well in advance of when you are going to need it, and let it thaw that way. You should always put it on the lowest shelf just in case the container it is in leaks, that way the blood and juice will not contaminate any other foods by dripping down on them.

What are you “confused” about?

Why don't you make lasagna with the opened pack - isn't that why you opened it?

If the other unopened pack defrosted then you should NOT have refrozen it (you can cook it and then re-freeze it). If it was still frozen then it will be fine.

Really, it sounds like you shouldn't be trying to cook for yourself.

• Anton

For lasagna you use cooked ground beef -- frozen is no problem.  You can put frozen in the skillet and remove started beef in the spatula and defrost the inner parts.

what if you leave an open frozen beef out for more than 2 hours

Normally you put the frozen beef in the fridge to defrost slowly overnight.  You're not really supposed to thaw meat at room temperature but people do this all the time and survive.  If you're in a hurry though it's best to use the microwave defrost setting right before you start cooking.

Just continue thawing the open packet in the fridge and use it up within 24 hrs of thawing.  It's fine, not radio active waste.  If the other packet wasn't defrosted you've done it no harm at all in putting it back in the freezer though I don't have a clue why you did because you make it sound like the reciped calls to the total amount of the two packets together.  You're massively overthinking this.  Just wash your hands after handling raw meat.