Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 5 months ago

I take medication for schizophrenia, would this legally stop me from running for president and being sworn in if I won?

I'm not trying to troll, I really am on medication, and I am just starting to wonder if someone is on medicine and it is well managed by a doctor, if you can still be president, or is this a reason to not be president. I am not saying I'm running for president, I am just curious if there is a law on this.

Legally, no.

It might stop you from winning, but it would not stop you from being able to run legally, and if would not stop you from being President if you did run.

The law on this is very simple:

1. You must be either "a natural born Citizen, or a Citizen of the United States, at the time of the Adoption of this Constitution" (that was in the late 1780s, and everyone who was a citizen then is dead now, so you now have to be a natural born citizen).

2. You must "have attained to the Age of thirty five Years".

3. You must have "been fourteen Years a Resident within the United States."

4. You cannot already have been President for the maximum amount of time (effectively eight to ten years).

There are no other restrictions or limitations.

• ?

If your meds are current and can be tracked as current

for a period of years, You have a chance, Otherwise

no.

• xyzzy

A lot of crazy people or at least with mental problems have ran for President. Some do quite well such as  H. Ross Perot and Joe Biden.