How do I stop my Pepsi addiction?

I have about 70 oz of Pepsi a day and I'm starting to realize the health effects. The problem is no matter how hard I try, I always find myself crawling back to it. It's really bad, especially since my family has had a history of Type 2 diabetes. I  don't want diabetes! (Nobody does duh -_-) I know it's kinda dumb to be asking here of all places, but what do you recommend? Maybe someone here can relate to this situation and could maybe help my predicament.

Switch to Diet Pepsi, then start su stunting tea, any kind of tea. If you are caffeine sensitive, get caffeine free tea or green tea. 

I was addicted to Diet Dr. Pepper for years. Now I only occasionally have any diet soda. I've been a type 1 diabetic since 1955. I remember when there was NO diet soda at all.  

The easiest way I know not to drink soda, is to not buy soda. Drink water, teas, flavored waters, lime or lemon in water or diet sodas if you are wanting to avoid sugar. There are many things I enjoy, that I still eat or drink, that are full sugared and have no "diet" alternative sweetened version. But I pick and choose the times I enjoy them. And don't feel the need to over do them. 

A friend used lemon or lime juice in water and a product called "Miracle Berries", to stop drinking sweet tea

This is a southern drink where as much sugar as can be dissolved hot tea, is made in gallon or larger batches. It's chilled and server over ice. His method was to make the tea without sugar, and add lemon/lime to his drinks and chew a few berries. 

These are a berry, that when chewed, cause any sour tastes, to taste sweet, but without the use of any sweetener at all. They also alter the flavor and tastes of other foods and drinks as well. I've been to parties where we tried them, and it's interesting, the effect last roughly 20 to 30 mins after chewing the dried berries. 

• Andy C

Hi!  I quit 5 addictions cold turkey and not only can I tell you how to quit addiction,   I can also tell you how to PREVENT 99.999% of diabetes II. 

Diabetes I is absolutely genetic,  so there's nothing to be done, but diabetes II is absolutely environmental.   The role genetics plays is determining WHEN one gets diabetes II,  a metabolic disorder that really deserves a different name as it is totally unrelated to diabetes I. 

The addictions i quit were opiates, alcohol,  nicotine,  caffeine and...sugar.  That last is the primary driver of diabetes II and most heart disease. 

In summary of part 1, to prevent diabetes II,  sugar has to be intermittent,  not regular.   This is a ridiculously truncated version of what actually goes on,  but the Clif Notes are all you need. 

ADDICTION 

Chemicals that transmit data between nerve cells are called neurotransmitters.   One of these,  dopamine,  has the ability to down regulate (think reducing production) when a substance (Pepsi!) stimulates too much, causing MORE of the substance to be required to get the same result (amount of dopamine).

When the substance is limited or removed,  the brain tries fervently to crave and justify the substance.   Addiction is merely a dopamine imbalance that only takes ~2weeks  to correct when the substance is totally removed. 

Your cravings are FAKE, but not allowing them can feel like $#!+, but this feeling is TEMPORARY (only 2 weeks).

Knowing that the addiction quitting is temporary and that no harm is coming to the body would have been welcome news when I was quitting.   

You don't need good luck in order to quit.   You need knowledge.   Being lucky with my resolve (really DNA) was what allowed me to quit without knowing what I was in for.

Here are the books I just gave a brief synopsis of:

Source(s): "Fat Chance..." and "The Hacking of the American Mind" by Dr. Robert Lustig, M.D. "Sugar: the Bitter Truth" is on YouTube. Believe it or not, it's all biochemistry.