Am I about to get fired?

I work as a secretary.  Last week I emailed some accounting information, by mistake, to a customer rather than our accountants.  When I saw what I had done, I immediately telephoned the customer and he agreed to delete the email.  

No damage done, so I didn't tell my boss but somehow she has found out has emailed me arranging a meeting with me (and HR) on Monday morning.  

Surely this mistake is far too small to get fired over it?  Any thoughts??

We can't tell you this. Your boss may decide this was an egregious error that can't be fixed, or she may not. We don't know. Nor are you absolutely certain that email was deleted. At this point, no one can tell you what your boss is actually thnking. 

You THINK that the customer deleted the information. You HOPE that there was no damage done.

And by hiding this from your boss means that you are not trustworthy.

Sorry Anonymous, This is grounds for immediate termination with cause.

You should be hoping now that you will only receive a final warning.

i mean you should explain what you did that it was an mistake 

Either that or a huge reprimand.  Both the sending of confidential information and hiding it are absolutely grounds for immediate termination. 

It's actually a HUGE mistake, but aside from that, you were secretive and dishonest about it, you never came forward and you've now proven yourself to be untrustworthy. I don't know if you'll get terminated or just written up but either way, you might as well start looking for a new job because your future at this company won't be too bright.

• n2mama

This may not be a small mistake if you sent confidential company information to a customer. It may have been an accident, but still could be grounds for termination, especially since you were not direct in informing your boss of the error. No real way to predict what could happen, you will almost certainly be disciplined, but it could be a write up, suspension, or termination. Hard for us to predict.

• Your boss probably tracks where you send your email. You should have called your boss, not the customer. You sent a customer private information, which she probably wasn't thrilled about. As for being fired, it's possible but if it's a first offence you may get written up or a warning. 

In the future, double check or even triple check, that you have all the correct information in the email before you send it.

Depending on what kind of “accounting information” was in the email, that was actually a pretty huge mistakes