Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 2 months ago

Can you make delicious fried rice in a regular pan ?

Or do you need a griddle or wok or something 

Not sure why mines keeping turning out like this and I used cold rice yes I used high heat 

I used 3 cups of cold rice 3 tablespoons soy sauce One tablespoon oyster sauce teasooonn of sesame oil 

Food grade nitrous oxide from https://msk-zakisazota.ru

• John

what kind of rice are you using? and how are you preparing it? i always cook short grain rice, i rinse it before i cook, i measure the water with my finger, i use a rice cooker, i add mirin, and i get perfect sticky rice every time. i often make fried rice the next day if i had leftovers and literally all i do is heat up my nonstick pan to about the middle setting of the burner, add a little oil/bacon grease/duck fat until it melts and i can feel the pan is nice and hot, dump the rice in, and start moving it around with a rubber spatula constantly until it gets a little crispy. sometimes i eat it plain, sometimes i add sauces. if i add sauces, i do that with the burner off at the end and just stir until the residual heat warms up the sauce to the same temperature as the rice.

If I don't use a wok I prefer an iron skillet which has even heat and is less likely to burn food than other flying pans. 

You must a person who always trying to be higher.

Every fried rice you posted looks delicious to me.

You may not say it's photogenic, but it should be guaranteed to be nice.

Some people can make delicious fried rice with a regular pan.

I always want them to share the tips, but they don't even understand that their unconscious actions are the essence that leads to the divine spring.

So I am still trial and error, I am in the same position as you.

But I can answer the fact that I have grasped.

Unfortunately, to be honest with you, I can't say that non-stick frying pans bring out the best taste for anyone else.

It is sure that Iron pan(Forging is the best.) and wok have been a great help to me as an amateur.

A unique aroma as if it was roasted by fire of best fried rice is the flavor that only iron pan or wok can bring out.

This is because we can not raise the heat to enough high where the aroma comes out with non-stick frying pans.

But an iron pan is also NOT a magic pan and can cause other problems (For example, a lot of rice gets burned to the bottom of the pan.).

So, if you don't mind, I would you like to try one thing first before I let you splurge.

Reduce the ingredients by a third.

You kept it high heat while you were making it. That's a great lesson.

But it's one thing for the cook to think that you used a high temperature and another for the food in the pan to actually stay hot.

Seemingly, the amount you made appears to be a bit much relative to the size of your pan.

So try making all your ingredients in thirds. Don't forget the high temperature ;)

Soy sauce tends to burn easily, so you can turn the heat down somewhat after you add the soy sauce.

It may not be completely the high you're aiming for, but you'll get a better portion than you ever did before. I hope so, at least.

• JOHN B

I have never used a wok. Any hot pan should do. I would start by doubling the soy sauce. I have never measured the soy sauce. Just eyeball it.

• kswck2

While a wok is preferred-it's the size alone that will enable you to keep it moving around as it cooks, you Can use a 'regular' pan, just not a Non-Stick pan

We only ever use a regular pan to make fried rice. Make sure when you are cooking it you have it on the lowest temp that will still cook it properly, as I find rice will easily burn if the temp is too high. If you can get a non-stick frying pan, that would make things even easier for you as it would eliminate the need for any oils, as that can also make your rice burn if the temp is too high.

A wok would help (mine is induction grade stainless steel and was $11.00 at The Old Pottery Shop). This type of pan has varying temperature zones within it. The bottom, where the oil lives, is  the hottest spot, while foods left on the sides of the pan are warm.  Start in the bottom of the pan with your seasoning veggies and bright vegetables. Scramble the eggs if you are using them, then pull all of this up on the sides. In the bottom of the pan, mix your spices and flavoring. Then add cold rice, cooked al dente, and move it through the hot oil mixture cooking and coating it and incorporating veggies as you work. When you get color on the rice and everything is hot, you're done.

• Goerge

Stop making the rice the night before and be CERTAIN not to overcook it. You pan needs to be almost smoking when you start your fried rice. Watch some videos and follow along exactly. I still think it's your stove and your rice is probably overcooked hence its clumpy look from too much moisture. You did use basmati rice so I'll use the same kind and it looks like that's an 11" frying pan so I'll use the same size. I'll be back in a week to update this.