Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 2 months ago

Why didn’t my fry rice turn out like this ?

I don’t know why my rice looks so dark and not like this picture I used the exact amounts of sauce the receipe said . Of course didn’t use green onion and bacon because I didn’t have any in my pantry https://cafedelites.com/fried-rice/. I used basamwtic rice cooked the night before 

Best food laughing gas from https://msk-zakisazota.ru

You either added too much soy sauce of maybe you used the wrong soy sauce. There are two different type of soy sauce. Light Soy Sauce and Dark Soy Sauce. For fried rice I use the light soy sauce (is a bit saltier and it won't stain much my food). Dark soy sauce is less saltier, thicker and darker which I usually use it for my stews. Also they are pretty different in flavor as well.

• JOHN B

The recipe you give is not dark enough to my taste. I like the look of yours. I would say the type of rice you used since I have no idea what basamwtic is.

I wouldn't worry too much about the color, if you do an image search of fried rice you will see that almost half of them are darker colored.  There used to be a pic and recipe somewhere online of fried rice made by a group of Navy Seals that was darker than the one you or most anyone else has made.  Also, don't compare it to the photo with the recipe because there's no way that isn't heavily edited and I doubt it'd be that light in color with three tablespoons of soy sauce and a teaspoon each of hoisin and sesame oil.  I notice it uses butter too, IF YOU LET BUTTER COOK TOO LONG IT BROWNS.  For a lighter color try using salt for some of the soy sauce and olive oil for sesame oil and leave out the butter.  Also, better lighting and presentation could make it look lighter and better.

If it were me, I'd be more worried about the clumpiness of the rice.  Fried rice is not usually sticky.  It's taken me awhile to get the technique I like, I have lots of fried rice recipes posted online but I never post how I cook the rice.  You'll have play with it for awhile to find the way that works best for you for making fried rice.       

• kswck2

What did you add to the rice? Soy sauce? If so, too much. You probably just steamed the rice, rather than just frying it. 

• Give up. You just can’t cook.

• Goerge

It looks worse than the last pictures you posted. I would blame the cooking appliance you are using and possibly your experience level. I don't think your heat is high enough so you end up steaming the rice instead of frying it. Notice how yours is clumpy and the recipe's picture shows individual grains of rice? Yours is way too moist. I think you may be overcooking your rice initially and/or not properly cooling it in addition to frying it too slow. 

• Kenny

The grease from the bacon may have something to do with the rice browning .