Anonymous asked in Business & FinancePersonal Finance · 1 month ago

Why does he want to claim my son as a dependent in the navy if I have full custody of him and his name isn’t on the birth certificate ?

I got 100% full custody of my one year old son. His dad lives in another state and has never met him before. My baby’s father is going into the navy and he wants my son’s social security card sent to him so he can claim him as a dependent. Why does he want to claim him as a dependent since his name is not on the birth and I have full custody of my son and he’s never met his son before? Why would he need to claim him as a long? My baby’s dad IS paying child support. 

3 Answers

  • Judy
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

    So you have to post this very day?

  • 1 month ago

    He isn't claiming him as a dependent for tax purposes. He may be assigning Benefits to his son. He can, for example, provide health care and survivor benefits to your son even if he is a non-custodial parents. 

    If you don't understand this stuff, either ask the baby daddy or hire a lawyer to explain to you. 

  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

    Why do you care?  A social security card (or number) does not entitle him to claim the boy as a dependent.  Go on about your business.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.