Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 2 months ago

My father asked me over for dinner, should I trust him or might he be trying to manipulate me into something?

Based on my experience with your father, yes, he is trying to manipulate you into something illegal.

It depends on what your family dynamic is like. If your father is someone who is rarely around, is not a great person (ex: they have abused or hurt you in some way), or has a history of taking advantage of you, he may be trying to get something from the dinner. If you have a good relationship with your father, there is no reason for the dinner to be anything other than an attempt to see his child who he may not have seen for a while (because of Covid, because you live in separate states or lives a few hours away from each other, because one or both of you has been busy, etc....). 

I suppose........

• Rick

This depends on his history with you.  You don't

have

to go to his house for dinner.  

Go if you want to, but be ready to set boundaries to make sure he doesn't manipulate you.  

If he has a history of being manipulative you should probably suspect that's what happening. 

He will have an ulterior motive.