Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureRoyalty · 1 month ago

What number in the line of succession to the British throne would George I of Hanover have been if...?

...if all descendants of King James VI & I who were Roman Catholic had been allowed to stay in the line of succession? Wouldn’t he have been very far down the line? What number would he have been when Queen Anne died, if all the Roman Catholics had been allowed to remain in the succession?

After all, George I’s relation to King James VI & I was very diluted according to standard historical royal succession. George I was merely related on a maternal line, via his mother who was a granddaughter of King James VI & I. And his mother wasn’t even an elder granddaughter. She was the 13th of 14 children of King James VI & I’s daughter. 

Seems to be stretching the bounds of historical succession rights to go so far down a maternal line. So, there must have been many, many descendants of King James VI & I who had stronger familial claims via male lines, and even via elder female lines. Just the simple fact that George I’s mother was 12th of 13 siblings tells you there were many, many more above her that would have been higher up the line of succession than was her son George I, had it not been for their Roman Catholicism.

George I’s mother, Sophia the Electress of Hanover, was 12th of 13 children, not 13th of 14, as I mistyped. 

52nd in line - with his mother having been 51st, meaning Parliament bumped fifty claimants out of the succession because they were Roman Catholic. As you can imagine, politically,  it was the big issue at the end of Anne's reign.

• George I was only 52nd in line to the throne.

Source(s): royal.uk/hanoverians

He wasn't even their first choice (because Sophia, Electress of Hanover died before she could take the throne). But yeah, the Hanoverians were pretty far down on the list of successors.