Is this legal? just making sure ?

so my history teacher who's a big man in his 30s with short brown hair and glasses invited me to hang out with him today, last week he emailed my school email asking how I've been and if I wanted to go with him to get ice cream and hang out and I said yes and im 17 so I told my parents im just going to hang out with friends and didn't specify and he's picking me up at my house today and im going to walk down the street a bit so no one sees me get into his car

i dont think so

Even if the age of consent in your state is 17 or under this is highly unethical and this teacher needs to be drummed out of the profession. Don't do it. 

This either happens to several people or you keep posting the same question.  The issue appears to be history teachers who are big men, in their 30's, with short brown hair and glasses.

I think hanging out with him is a very good idea.  There is nothing illegal about having ice cream with a teacher.

Know what's not a good idea?  Posting this under your username and then re-posting it anonymously.

You're insane

Hope that helps

You're welcome

Ask yourself this,  "Am I so special that a teacher would want to spend time just with me?"    Like are you super smart and he is helping you get into college?    Are you a super athlete and he is trying to get you signed with a professional team?    Are you a miracle playing the violin and he is giving you extra lessons so you can get it Julliard?   Or are you some shy kid that others ignore and are dying for attention, he sees it and is going to give you LOTS of up close and personal attention?     The BIG clue that you know this is not right is you LIED TO YOUR PARENTS about it.   Any time you feel that you have to lie about something it is usually the wrong thing to do.  

The legality depends on your jurisdiction.  In just about every jurisdiction in the United States it is a violation of the teacher's employment contract.  In many jurisdictions it is a crime for him to engage in a relationship with a student.

Yes. Not only is it illegal, it's VERY illegal as he's your teacher which would make him a "person of authority". However, it also depends on the age of consent in your state, and whether 17 is over or under it. And you don't list which state, so we can't tell.