Why do white people try to oppress other white people for being white?

I NEVER understood this. Social justice warriors who attack other white people for being white when they are white themselves and they are fighting for equality. Just because you're white and attacking another white person doesn't mean you're not a racist. You're just racist against your own race (which makes zero sense)

• HMFan

Well... short answer: things are complicated. Whites suppressing whites (WSW) is an attempt to adjust the balance of power from the select few who have had to power to a more equal distribution of power. One of the problems is that since institutionalized discrimination has existed for SO LONG, gentle nudges to shift power won’t work. More brutal and coarse actions are needed to get that shift started.

Related to that is the fact that since this HAS been our system for so long, many whites simply DO NOT SEE and CANNOT SEE the inherent bias in the system because “that’s the way it has always been” which, is NOT actually the case, it only APPEARS to be that way. And since the system benefits them (or is at the least neutral), there is no impetus to change the system. It is cultural complacency.

I do not advocate curtailing someone else’s rights for the benefit of someone else’s. Basic Human Rights are exactly that: BASIC. And EVERYONE should be afforded the rights that everyone else has. Unfortunately, this nation (the USA) has for so long curtailed the rights of minorities in deference to the rights of whites that it seems the ONLY way to force a change is to curtail (hopefully temporarily) the rights of the majority whites so that they can begin to UNDERSTAND, APPRECIATE, and FIGHT for the rights of all. And if not that, at least not support the system of bias and discrimination. I’m not saying that’s right or wise but it’s the only thing that seems to work. Like they say: “to make an omelette, you gotta crack some eggs.”

I pray that people begin recognizing that giving someone ELSE their rights does not diminish your own. Rights are not like pie: there’s enough for everybody.

Thanks for your thoughtful question. I hope my answer may begin to explain why you’re seeing what you’re seeing in the world today.

Nothing wrong with being white apart from the greater risk of skin cancer and tendency to age faster.  As you can see, I'm white myself.  What is wrong is failure to oppose racism when your ethnicity benefits so much from it to the detriment of other ethnicities.

Did you take european or world history in school? White is our color yet we are 87 different cultures and languages from around the world and not united. Can a black american love an african, can an african love a black american? Can a caribbean person love an african? See what Im saying they are all very different cultures, its the same for whites. Some whites have alot of knowledge of all the white cultures and friends from all over and others only hang with 2 or 3 cultures, it depends on where they grew up. Keep in mind: there are thousands of mixed whites too like me (Irish/Acadian) and black/white. native/white, etc. Some white cultures do not like others. 

So you are against equality? You are trying to mask your own backwards views by playing the victim. You are not the victim, you're helping to perpetuate the inequality now baked into the system.

You got examples because I don't see people doing this. 

Huh? Do you even know what the word oppress means? Who attacks someone for being white? That sounds like some white supremacist propaganda. I think you're just feeling uncomfortable that people are getting called out for unintentional racism these days.

• Susie

You mistake is expecting common sense and logic from a liberal.