Why does the DMV still not have my original documents?

I mailed my vehicle title and registration to the CA DMV in Sacramento in order to swap titles for a project car I bought after I did the smog test. It's been about 5 weeks now and they just emailed me a reminder to mail them the original documents. Do I just keep waiting or should I be worried? I tried calling but the wait time to talk to somebody was over 2 hours.

Good question, but you're asking in the wrong place.

Hint: The California DMV has a customer service department.

Other Hint:  This ain't it.

OOPS! If you don't have the originals, you have a stolen car. Expect a tow truck soon.

• car253

Wait the two hour hold time.   DMV is hard to get ahold of and impossible for appointments. 

Source(s): dmv.ca.gov
  • May

You will have to wait.

They are too busy issuing licenses to illegal aliens to be bothered with a natural born American

It is likely lost.  Time to get a replacement.

• CB

If you didn't send it via registered mail you are SOL. Lost in the mail likely or lost in the DMV -- but you have no proof without a registered receipt.