Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceRenting & Real Estate · 2 months ago

What can I do about my realtor stealing from me?

My realtor held a showing at my home and now I have a number of things missing out of my home...

-a collectible Little Orphan Annie figuring that was worth nearly $3k that was in a bedroom drawer

-my mother's diamond ring that I had in my jewelry box

-my husband's Swiss Army knife collection

-a box of rare cheeses that was given to me by my aunt after she returned from Belgia

-my daughter's Precious Moments figures

I'm so beyond furious about it and the realtor is saying he has no idea what I'm talking about.  I have called the police to file a report and waiting for them now.  I need to find out if I should sue him in court or what to do next.

REPORT the theft to the police

File a claim with your insurance company.  You should've realized this could have happened and you should've removed these things or taken them with you before the showing. I suspect a visitor stole these things, not the realtor.

Troll getting desperate..............

Don't be surprised if "the police" are at least as skeptical as we are.  You can be arrested for filing a false police report. You can be reported here for being a pathetic troll. Also, Realtor® is a trademark, not a noun. 

Do you have ANY evidence that it was your realtor? ANY?  Or just a suspicion?  Because if it's the latter, you don't want to bring charges without it. You could be sued for defamation, or worse. You could be right, but you'd better be absolutely certain before doing anything. 

You could ALSO stay in your house while it is being shown.  I know realtors don't like it, but it will prevent further problems.

And you might want to check local pawnshops yourself, because it's a sure bet the cops won't.

You have a problem.  You don't know if the realtor was the thief or someone who viewed the home.  It was foolish to leave valuables in plain sight or put away in a drawer easily opened, by anyone.  If you sue, you are going to have to "prove" that it was him.  Can you do that? At an open house, there's no way he can watch everybody - that's the whole point of an open house.  It was not a one on one private viewing. 

Source(s): Certified Paralegal, with 25+ years' experience.
  • R P

Haha .... silly troll!

Real estate agents are bonded,  file a theft report and then contact the boss of the realtor.

Was that rare cheese from Denmark?  Because something sure stinks...

always report...........