Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetComputer Networking · 6 months ago

Can’t blackmailers get caught with their ip address when sending messages?

When blackmailers commit illegal online activity by sending a message to a person that makes him feel scared and forces him to send his money to them, can’t the blackmailers get found with their ip address? 

Because when you send messages through any application, like gmail, messages from strangers can be tracked with their ip address, can’t they? Otherwise, how do the blackmailers keep themselves anonymous?

4 Answers

Relevance
  • Bill-M
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

They go through several VPN's to hide the IP.

• Lv 7
    6 months ago

they use an anonymous overseas service, which obscures their IP by using the overseas IP.

do you really think blackmailers would use legal means to do something illegal? that would be like a bankrobber calling ahead to let them know he was on his way...

• Anonymous
    6 months ago

They will usually do a combination of sending e-mails through computers they hacked, work out of country who doesn't enforce blackmail laws, and use things like a VPN.   The combination of it all uses up too much law enforcement resources to track down for your typical case.  

• Smokie
    Lv 6
    6 months ago

I'm not a blackmailer myself but I use a VPN which masks my real IP and location. This can be done with proxies as well.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.