Anonymous
Anonymous asked in EnvironmentOther - Environment · 6 months ago

I invented a rat trap that kills rats nonstop without bait or maintenance but not allowed to use it in UK Anyone have any idea of loopholes?

After seeing a documentary showing how thirdworld  people with nothing, are attacked by rats at night and newborn children are eaten alive, I got this idea. Only one piece of bait is needed for the initial startup and after that, the rats operate the trap as in cleaning it that is and the rat trap is always ready to kill again. When I first tried it, I took it up to a farm where I have permission to cull and left it. After just a few days, there were remains of as many as forty rats. When I did a check of this trap with the UK powers that be, although impressed with it, they said I could not use it here. Unfortunately, although not deliberate, it is very painful and cruel in the way it works. All of its power actually comes from the rats themselves. If the people with nothing don't mind eating rat, this trap will keep families safe at night and also help feed them. What are your thoughts?

Sounds really interesting and something useful for farmers especially. Don't give up! Maybe find a way to cover the whole trap so no one sees, and get an x ray thing that shows what's inside, or maybe a counter? The majority of humans are squeamish and if they don't see it anything like that, but they know what works they would be delighted to use it. You can argue that's how rat pellets work or something along the lines of that. But that invention of yours sounds like it could come in handy for a lot of different businesses. I really hope you are genuine oh, I know a lot of pest control servicemen and believe me if you made something like that it would definitely be used in the United States at least. Just don't give up. Also along the lines of trying to convince them that it is Humane, you can argue that when Pest Control service men do capture rodents they are ordered to kill them either by drowning them or by other methods. Good luck

• Mr. P

Design it properly and get it manufactured in India. Then import it or sell overseas. Much the same as we do with weapons manufacture.

• 555555

Pitch the idea to NYC or Los Angeles city councils. They're 3rd world.

Apart from any legal aspects, I doubt that it would be very marketable in the UK.

Anon, This trap may seem like a "too good to be true" trap because it runs without bait, other than the initial baiting. but it isn't. In fact, I am so surprised that nobody thought of this before. It does not work by surprising the victim with a dunking in water as water evaporates and the container fills with rats so needs servicing. It does not work by giving the rats a sharp blow with a spring or electrical driven hammer as that would require reloading or servicing. It has no moving parts and I would think in our climate, should run for 10 years. It uses the rats themselves in place of springs or batteries. They aid with the killing and cleaning. I did a bit of reading before coming up with this. Zirp, of course, I don't want to give it for free but feel the governments should pay for these to be put in the right areas. W, as you say, they are happy to see babies being killed in a cruel way rather than rats???? I am sorry that you are one of those people that are quick to shout "liar" it must be hell for your personal life. It is the very personality of the rodent that keeps the trap killing and being cleaned but is a nightmare way to die.

• W

A lot of SPCA members are well-meaning, but some of them simply go over the top. But somehow I doubt the veracity of your story.

• Zirp

So do you want to patent it or give it to the world for free?

• JJ

There's a guy on YouTube (Shawn Woods) who features all kinds of rat and mouse traps. There are many others, too. You might try browsing a bunch of them to find out if it's already in use, because people all over the world have been inventing mousetraps literally for eons. 

The most effective trap I've seen is very simple and inexpensive, but also quite cruel... Just take a 5-gallon plastic bucket and attach a wooden rod across the top so it rotates freely, but stays in place. A couple loops of wire taped to the side of the bucket will secure the rod. Fill the bucket with 8 inches of water. Smear peanut butter in the center of the rod. Rats and mice will climb on the rod to get the bait, but the rod will rotate so they fall in the bucket and drown.