Social Worker Major?

My university offers Child and Family Studies as a major--is that what someone would need to pursue a career in social work? There isn't a major offered that's just listed as 'social work', and I figured Child and Family Studies would be about as close as I can get to social work

5 Answers

  • MS
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

    You need to speak with an advisor at your university.  Many states will allow you to work as a social worker with a bachelor's degree (assuming you pass the exam), but they often require that your degree be from a CSWE accredited program (which you can find online).  So you may not be eligible to even sit for the licensing exam without the appropriate degree.  Some states require that you have a master's degree to be license-eligible; in that case, your undergraduate degree might not matter as much if you can be accepted into a MSW program with it.  Child and Family Studies programs tend to be affiliated with education or counseling departments; if with counseling, it could be a good match with social work.

  • John
    Lv 6
    2 months ago

    Just by the name, Child and Family Studies would seem to be more closely related to sociology than to social work.  You can review the course descriptions on your school's website, but if you want to be a social worker I recommend you get a BSW.  Consequently, you may have to transfer to a different college.  An MSW can also be very helpful in the social work field.

    Just to give my standard forewarning to those who want to be social workers, its a good idea to have a secondary job skill.  I was in a social services agency for 13 years, and job burnout is even more prevalent than taught in college.  That is especially true for those in children's services.  

  • 2 months ago

    That's something you should has the people who head up that department.  The term Child and Family Studies suggests a broad range of subject that might be the first step for a number of jobs form pre-school teacher to divorce mediation.  As others noted, to be an actual social worker or any type of counselor who sees clients, you'll need a Master's degree.  You can look at the requirements for a Masters in Social Work or Masters in Counseling to see if that major provides the right foundation.

  • drip
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

    You will need a Masters degree to get a job in Social Work. 

    Many universities do offer a Bachelor degree in Social Work. 

    There are many areas of social work. What do you want to do.

    Work with children, women. In a hospital. Drug addiction. Senior citizens, government, community health services, administration.

    Or pick an area you want to work in and take a major that will support that work. 

  • What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • martin
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

    You are right about that.  A more general major would be sociology.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.