How long does a job usually take to call back after applying ?

So I applied for a simple front desk job at a rec center about 3 weeks ago and I still haven’t heard back. A few days ago the job posting was taken down from the website so I was wondering does that usually mean the position is filled or possibly that they got enough applications and are now reviewing them? Also, on the job listing/application there was no specific location for the job, rather it asked me to check which location/rec center I would like to work at. Why do they do that? Does it mean that they may contact me when there’s an opening at that specific location? Thanks.

Anywhere between tomorrow and never.  I applied for a promotion last year at work and still have not heard anything.  The management just couldn't be bothered to contact those of us who applied and have recently moved someone across from another area who was already doing the job there.  I gave up asking what was happening - all we wanted was either a letter or to be told in person that the job was not happening.

A few years ago, I got a job about 4 months after the initial interview.  I thought someone else got the job, or the job wasn't happening, but one day out of the blue, I got a call.

Don't hold your breath.  Keep applying for jobs and hope that one takes you on.

It means the role has been filled and you have not been selected.

When they make their decision as to who they are hiring. 

Different employers can do things differently, so there are no absolutes about what any of this means.  Some employers will leave a job posting up until they've filled the position, some will pull the posting when they feel like they've got enough candidates to choose from.  

There is also no set answer on how long it takes for an employer to get back to you.  They could contact you today, 6 months from now, or they may not even contact you at all.  

As for asking about location, they are likely doing that because hiring decisions get made by the managers at the specific location.  They want to make sure that your application finds its way to the correct person.  It would be a waste of everyone's time to consider you for a position that you wouldn't accept because of location. 

Only the folks at the rec center HR department know.  Any or all of those things could be true.  For example, maybe they have high turnover in that job and were looking for one specific spot to fill but will keep applications for people near other sites on file.  Maybe they didn't feel you were qualified?

I'd encourage you to call, if there is a way to do that, and find out.

All the jobs I've applied to Usually call me later in the same day if it's a fast process or a couple days after. Time frame? 1 day to a week. If it goes past that Usually I call the place up to check up and see what's up. Also looks good since it shows your interested in the job. 

Anyways, Since it's been 3 weeks and the ad was taken down chances are the job position is filled. I would still call just to check maybe? you never know on a very rare occasion they mightve forgot or miss handled your application.