Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 month ago

Does Psalms 34:18 means suicide go to heaven?

I'm not suicidal or anything. Just asking, I had a friend who lost her son to it. 

12 Answers

Relevance
  • David
    Lv 7
    1 month ago
    Favourite answer

Suicide is a sin, but not an unforgivable sin.  I have a friend whose daughter killed herself at the age of 18.  But she had been dealing with deep depression.  Did she go to heaven or hell?  Not for me to say, but Jesus healed people of a lot of illnesses.  Depression is an illness.

• 1 month ago

No, it doesn't.  It means that he can work with us if our hearts are broken and our spirits are contrite (repentant). 

I like to think that God can be merciful if people really couldn't stop themselves from suicide.  I don't know, though.  God is as bound by eternal laws as we are by natural laws.

• Ron
    Lv 5
    1 month ago

I noticed you are getting many conflicting statements.  One thing to know about the Scriptures is that Jesus said they are the truth - John 17:17 - Sanctify them by means of the truth; your word is truth.  - - - -  However, God also warns us about those that twist the Scriptures - 2 Peter 3:16. . . and these things the ignorant and unstable are twisting, as they do also the rest of the Scriptures, to their own destruction.  - - - -  So, our loving Creator gives us this advice to make sure we are getting the truth - Acts 17:11 . . . carefully examining the Scriptures daily to see whether these things were so.  - - - -  If we examine the Scriptures carefully, we can make sure we get the truth.  And the truth cannot be contradictory.  For example, either God is a trinity, or He is not.  Both cannot be true.  And either Jesus is God, or he is not.  Both cannot be true.  So when we examine the Scriptures carefully, we can make sure we get accurate knowledge.  And that is what God wants us to have - 1 Timothy 2:4 – whose (God’s) will is that all sorts of people should be saved and come to an accurate knowledge of truth.  - - - -  And did you notice in that Scripture that having an accurate knowledge of the truth leads one to being saved?  And we can also approach God in prayer for his help in gaining an accurate understanding of his word of truth - Psalm 65:2 - O Hearer of prayer, to you people of all sorts will come.  - - - -  It is only reasonable to believe that since God wants everyone to have an accurate knowledge of truth, that he will answer such humble prayers.  So, let's dispel some of the comments about your friend's son going to suffer in a lake of fire (hell).  What does God's word of truth say about his view on burning people?  Please note what these 2 Scriptures show about God's feelings on this matter - Jeremiah 7:31 - They have built the high places of Topheth, which is in the Valley of the Son of Hinnom, in order to burn their sons and their daughters in the fire, something that I had not commanded and that had never even come into my heart.’  - - - -  And here - Jeremiah 32:35 - Furthermore, they built the high places of Baal in the Valley of the Son of Hinnom, in order to make their sons and their daughters pass through the fire to Molech, something that I had not commanded them and that had never come into my heart to do such a detestable thing, causing Judah to sin.  - - - -  So these Scriptures tell us that even just the thought of burning people never even came into God's heart.  So how could he have a burning lake of fire that he sends people to forever?  And did you notice that in the one Scripture, the practice of burning people was associated with the worship of the false gods, Baal and Molech?  So, what is the lake of fire that God's word of truth speaks about?  Please note what the lake of fire means in this Scripture - Revelation 20:14 -

And death and the Grave were hurled into the lake of fire. This means the second death, the lake of fire.  - - - -  Simply put, the lake of fire symbolizes death without the hope of a resurrection.  Fire in the Scriptures is often used as symbolizing complete destruction.  Thus, death without the hope of a resurrection.  Some will say that the Scriptures speak about "torment".  If you do some research, you can find that in the days that the Scriptures were written, the word torment was used to denote "jailers".  Because jailers would often abuse prisoners, causing them torment.  So when the Scriptures speak about being tormented in a lake of fire, it means being jailed in death (the second death without a resurrection).  Regarding suicide, the Scriptures do not bring out that if a person takes their own life that they will be confined to the second death, without the hope of a resurrection.  That is something that we must leave in God's hands.  But we can be encouraged by the description of our Heavenly Father here - 2 Corinthians 1:3 & 4 - 3 Praised be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of tender mercies and the God of all comfort, 4  who comforts us in all our trials so that we may be able to comfort others in any sort of trial with the comfort that we receive from God.  - - - -  Our Creator is described as the Father of tender mercies.  And the God of all comfort.  He understands us completely.  All of our trials.  Our emotions.  Everything about us.  And the Scriptures tell us that he is perfect in justice.  So regarding a person that has taken his own life, we just trust in our loving Heavenly Father in that he understands everything.  And regarding the resurrection, even those that have died without the opportunity to learn about God have the hope of a resurrection.  They are referred to as "unrighteous" ones here - Acts 24:15 - And I have hope toward God, which hope these men also look forward to, that there is going to be a resurrection of both the righteous and the unrighteous.  - - - -  The wicked are not mentioned in that verse.  The unrighteous, are those that for some reason did not get to learn about God and his requirements for life.  This gives us confidence that our loving Creator understands everything that was affecting someone that took their own life.  And we just leave things in his hands.  And hope in him.  I want to encourage you to take in more accurate knowledge that leads to salvation, when death is going to be removed - 1 Corinthians 15:26 - And the last enemy, death, is to be brought to nothing.  - - - -  And all other forms of suffering will be gone - Revelation 21:4 - And he will wipe out every tear from their eyes, and death will be no more, neither will mourning nor outcry nor pain be anymore. The former things have passed away.  - - - -  So, I invite you to visit the following web site where free Bible lessons are offered online.  But ALWAYS follow the Scriptural guidance given above about praying and examining the Scriptures carefully.  To make sure you are indeed getting an accurate knowledge of truth.  The site is: 

www.jw.org

• Liz
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

No, that's not what it means.

(Psalm 34:18) "Jehovah is close to the brokenhearted; He saves those who are crushed in spirit." David’s words are an assurance that Jehovah does not abandon those who are “low in their own eyes.” Our compassionate God knows that at such times, we need him more than ever, and he is near.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Juli
    Lv 5
    1 month ago

Considering the bible was written by ancient lunatics, it has zero validity.

There is no heaven or hell or god.

• In Psalm 34, it doesn't say that whoever commits suicide goes to heaven, it says: I will bless the Lord...!

Therefore, suicide cannot be forgiven, for the simple reason that whoever kills himself no longer has time to ask God for forgiveness, and will die with his sin, unforgivable after death.

• 1 month ago

With all respect when taken in context it has nothing to do with suicide. Saves there means to bring them through it not through suicide but like bringing you out of it safety, and its talking about the righeous. 

Here are the verses. 

17The righteous cry out, and the LORD hears;

He delivers them from all their troubles.

18The LORD is near to the brokenhearted;

He saves the contrite in spirit.

19Many are the afflictions of the righteous,

but the LORD delivers him from them all.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Does Psalms 34:18 meaN suicide go to heaven? -- Suicide is an action.  It doesn't "go" anywhere.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

The only unforgivable sin is to reject the offer of God's forgiveness....

No one who has reached the age of accountablity goes to heaven without it. It sound like your friend's son did not reach that age.

Here's why you must repent - change your mind - and follow Jesus. To know Jesus is to know God. He is the only one who can save you:

God's desire to show us mercy cannot override the need for justice to be done.

If you show contempt for God's grace and scorn the gift of eternal life, there is no sacrifice left for you.

Please listen carefully (your life is at stake):

By law, if a guilty party who is sentenced to death, refuses a pardon by an authority willing to give it; the court has no power to force the pardon on the person. 

That’s why people must LET God forgive them. 

God provided an atoning sacrifice: and He suffered greatly to give it. 

Can you imagine sacrificing your own innocent child so some criminal could walk away scott free? 

If they don’t take the offer, that means Jesus was tortured in their place for nothing, and the Lord has no recourse to help them. 

If my Lord, whom I serve and adore, was brutally murdered (glady taking your place in death so you could live) and they CHOOSE to reject this gift - they will perish in shame and deserve everything they get. No one will be complaining about how unfair it is.

• geezer
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

No .. it's saying that God is there for you if you are 'brokenhearted' or 'feeling suicidal'.

People who commit suicide become stuck in Purgatory .. neither Heaven or Hell.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.