Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 6 months ago

Christians: Do you think it was right or wrong for the US to use the atomic bomb against Japan?

Just curious. 

Update:

I’m a believer in the laws of war. So I think it’s wrong. 

22 Answers

Relevance
  • ?
    Lv 5
    6 months ago
    Favourite answer

Atheist here. 

Do I personally think it was wrong? Yes. Sure it saved thousands of lives, but it slaughtered innocent people, including children. It killed millions if you include the aftermath of it, like those who suffered from radiation poisoning etc. Even to this day, people are still dying of the consequences of the atomic bomb. It caused cancer to spread through generations, people were left deformed, burned and even the entire earth was effected because of it. 

If it were down to me, I wouldn’t have done it. The second bombing was definitely not needed in my opinion. 

And, if anyone here was at war with a different country and they bombed the one you lived in, would you have said it was necessary to end the war? Of course not. 

It’s all very complicated. Even the majority of the scientists that worked on the bomb later regretted it. Now every time there’s a war, people are in constant fear if “what if they decide to nuke us?” 

Hopefully one is never used again. But it will be used again, because humans are stupid. 

• Anonymous
    6 months ago

Most who were killed were innocent civilians, having nothing to do with the war machine. 

More than 90,000 and possibly as much as 146,000 Japanese people were killed, mostly civilians, and one million were left homeless, making it the most destructive single air attack in human history.

Thats tragic. But their leaders brought that devastation upon their own people. As they say, war is hell on the homefront too. Men are stupid, always playing "Mine is bigger than yours." They love to fight.

James 4:2 — You want what you don’t have, so you scheme and kill to get it. You are jealous of what others have, but you can’t get it, so you fight and wage war to take it away from them. Yet you don’t have what you want because you don’t ask God for it.

• 6 months ago

I once watched a documentary on the event called Black Rain.

I had a favorable opinion of us having used the A-bomb until then.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3ARusnC37o

Youtube thumbnail

• Duck
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

The first atomic bomb was effective in shortening World War II and saved thousands, if not millions, of lives.  Until the first bomb was dropped, Japan was relentless, even in the face of enormous military force, and would not surrender.  That first attack shook their resolve and had them ready to surrender.

The second atomic bomb, however, was unnecessary, as the Japanese were already in process of giving up at the time it was dropped.  The second bomb was nothing more than a power move.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 6 months ago

It was wrong, but you don't have to be Christian to believe that.  The bombs on Hiroshima and Nagasaki were dropped to demonstrate to the Soviets that they had it and started the Cold War.  The Japanese were seeking to surrender before the bombs were dropped.

• 6 months ago

I'm an atheist, but I'll answer anyway.

I think it was right.  Based on how the Japanese fought for Okinawa, and because the military government had convinced the public that the US was going to kill and rape it's way across Japan, the Japanese were planning to fight to the last man.  The death toll for an invasion of the mainland would have been most of the population of Japan.  And at least hundreds of thousands, probably millions of American soldiers.  The war would have lasted years longer.

Nuclear bombs are horrific, but they shocked the military junta out of it's delusional state and induced an early surrender with FAR fewer casualties.  I'm not a complete utilitarian or 'ends justify the means' guy, but in this case the ends are SO MUCH BETTER than the alternative, that anyone claiming that dropping the bombs was not preferable to a full scale bloody invasion is just ignorant of the history.

It's like the Trolley Problem.  Do you let the trolley continue and kill 5 people or change the track and kill just one?  Some philosophers say that by not changing the track you are more moral, even though more people die.  That's nonsense.  You have the power to choose.  Not acting IS A CHOICE.  Sometimes you have to take the lesser evil, and the nuclear bomb was the lesser evil.

• Anonymous
    6 months ago

The Japanese conspired and schemed their attack (for a very long time) to obliterate Pearl Harbor. They killed many innocent civilians. The nuclear bombs against Japan were in retaliation and the US was completely within it's rights to do so. Defending boarders with threats of violence is necessary - otherwise invasions would be common.  

There are 8 - count em' - EIGHT - ancient Hebrew words for 'kill'. Authorized killing in times of war. Self defence killing. Killing to get rid of evil. Etc....

Then there is UN-authorized killing - which is the word used in the 'Thou shalt not kill' command.

Jesus said if you are angry with your brother without cause, you have already committed murder in your heart. You have not been authorized to be angry.

The US army were acting as agents of God's wrath. Who are you to second-guess Him?

• Anonymous
    6 months ago

It was necessary.

• 6 months ago

War itself is wrong, 2 Cor. 10:4.  It follows that the using implements of war is wrong.  But not in politics.

• 6 months ago

Proverbs 16:33 it happen and changed the world . Sad for lost of life but it was Truman choice

• Like Hitler, he exterminated the Jewish people, and not only that, he killed many other people from other nations.

Just think, in Italy, if a soldier killed a German, the German Nazis killed 10 Italians. 1+10.

Now Hitler and your countrymen are with their souls in the Ades, awaiting God's judgment!

So, it is obvious that killing people is a sin!

However, I would like to inform you that China also has atomic bombs, as do other nations in the world.

Since the end of humanity will come through nuclear weapons, they will destroy each other, and then, there will be the end of humanity, and the judgment of God.

Satisfied your curiosity?

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.