Can anyone or anything (Police, ANPR, etc.) tell that I am a provisional driver if I drive on my own with no L plates, even if it’s insured?

To my knowledge, police can only tell that the car is insured, not that it’s on a full or provisional insurance, unless they run checks if getting pulled over for another reason. Can someone confirm this to me please?

I know, driving on a provisional is risky business, so save the lectures please.

If I drive with L plates on, which is what I am suppose to do, but I drive on my own because no one is available to come with me, that would be a red flag as I must be accompanied by a qualified driver 21 years+ and have their license for more than three years. 

If I drive without L plates, whether I’m in my own or not, surely my car will still show that it is insured, so that can’t be a reason to be pulled over right? 

If they can see that it’s on provisional insurance, and I have no L plates and no one with me, I’m fucked, I know. But I drive sensibly, so my driving ability won’t be questioned. Though I know I can be pulled for many other reason ie a brake light is out. 

So in conclusion - can the police or ANPR tell that my insurance is on provisional or not? If not, then getting away with driving on my own with no L plates would be easier to get away with, until I get pulled over or have an accident of course. 

Yes they can.  It's called a traffic stop.  And since you were talking about valid reasons, you're not going to like what counts as a valid reason.

Cops don't need to see an actual technical violation in order to stop you.  They can just see how you're driving, get a feeling that something isn't quite right, and that's all the probable cause they need to conduct a traffic stop.  And they know what to look for:  Choppy braking / acceleration, jittery cornering, over-correcting, wobbling within a marked lane, passing within __ M of a pedestrian crossing, and a thousand other little nuances that tell them this person is either very new to driving or slightly drunk.  Any and all of those are perfectly reasonable grounds to stop a vehicle, just to make sure everything is OK if for no other reason.

And what's the first thing cops ask for when they do a traffic stop?  And then they've got you, and you're not going to smooth-talk you way out of it.  You said it yourself that you know it's risky, so there goes the defence that you didn't know.  You don't need a lecture on driving, but you do need a lecture on gambling.

Only gamble when there's something you can win.  And if you do this thing you're asking about, the best you can hope for is a tie.  Gambling when your best possible outcome is breaking even isn't gambling, it's just really stupid.

Won't save the lectures.  You are UNINSURED, PERIOD.   Now you may drive good, but accidents happen because someone makes a mistake.  In this case it would be "someone Else" but as far as you are concerned you want to have nothing to do with the cops.  They will see you were not suppose to be on the road as all, so the fine for that is $500maybe? and seizure of the car is also a maybe?

.  If someone gets hurt you or the other party, then you have either high medical bills OR A LAWSUIT that will rob you of your future income for a hell of a long time.(also cashing in on the money you do have in stuff like car, furniture, house, boat, etc)  

Is it worth it?    Ans. NO   

You never know when a concern neighbor will report you as not being LEGIT. (or any of your so called friends)

Can you gamble? Yes

Can you LOSE. "YES"

Nothing is worth possibly being denied from EVER having a driver's license.  THAT COULD HAPPEN, TOO. 

• Peter

The short answer is no. The data provided to the police through ANPR is the registered keeper of the vehicle, and whether it is insured. As Bill said below, if you are a learner and you drive unnacompanied by a qualified driver, then you would invalidate the insurance. If you were stopped, the car would be seized and you would be arrested.

• Bill

In the USA, your insurance would be invalid if you were driving unaccompanied. I don’t know about the UK but I would be surprised if your insurance would cover an accident. Don’t do it.