Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationBoats & Boating · 1 month ago

Can you explain how to buy a boat from one country, and import a boat into a different country?

I would prefer to give a copy of the paper work to a transport company that works within my country, and extra money to pay whatever I owe at the border on my behalf. Is this acceptable?

Is there anyone else I would have to pay?

I would like to buy a boat, but I can't go get it alone. I only have my boat license. I don't have my drivers license.

I would like the boat to be imported into Canada. I am still looking at boats from different countries. I have not made up my mind yet about which country to buy a boat from.

I am already aware about the size of the boat. I will be providing this information to the transport company once I have this information. I was not aware about the trailer answer, so thank you.

There are currently 195 countries in the world, each with their own set of laws, so the answer depends on what two countries are involved as well as the size of the vessel in question. 

.

EDIT: Some vessel origins types and sizes are restricted. An intelligent lad would contact Transport Canada or look for information on their website. 

I bought a boat in the USA and imported it into Canada.  No problem.  Just declare it as you cross the border and pay the duty , if any.  Registering it in Canada meant a new set of numbers on the bow.

The trailer is a little more complicated. you have to get a letter stating that there are no recalls on it .  You have to have all the paper work and then you have to get it safety inspected.

Research on the internet will walk you through it