Anonymous
Anonymous asked in TravelAustraliaOther - Australia · 1 month ago

How common is French spoken in Australia ?

I'm from just outside of Montreal, Canada. I want to do a work and vacation thing in Australia for a year or two but I don't know if French is spoken there. My English isn't so bad, but my personality and confidence is much greater when communicating and speaking to French-speaking people. 

Not common at all but most of us learned another language in secondary college (high school), so some of us learned a smattering.  We in Australia are primarily a nation of migrants so any language peculiarities are rather mostly ignored.  We have a lot of people of Italian heritage in Victoria also so if you know a little Italian that may also help.  You will find your language improves very quickly when you are in an English speaking environment anyway.  So long as you have basic English you will soon converse easily enough.  Most Australians are very friendly.  I was often stopped by visitors using broken English for directions etc; happy to assist.  Why not download one of the language apps and practise a few phrases in your spare time.  A brother took German speaking lessons prior to living/working in Germany for a year, in charge of other employees also, and managed to get by.  English/ French is much easier to converse with than English/German.  

I think it will be quite some time before international visitors are welcomed back with the Coronavirus pandemic for now.  Victoria is in Stage 4 of restrictions, with most everything shut down, masks compulsory, limited to 5km essential travel only and strict 8pm-5am curfew.  Police are out charging and/or arresting those that don't comply.  

If you just want to head to the Pacific or Indian Ocean, there are plenty of French departments and territories by there, as well as French speaking countries. 

But in Australia... a few tourists, some  great restaurant chefs, some sailors of occasional ocean races, and I think that's it.

Anyway,  in all cases, your English will certainly be better than their French. 

As common as rocking horseshit.

• TSK

Not spoken much these days..There are some Australians of French decent, but not many, and they teach such as Japanese in schools these days..Frankly OZ is Anglo and if this bothers you why go so far?

• F

They have trouble speaking English properly .

We have lots of French backpackers here. But they usually speak English.

French is not a language of Australia; you're unlikely to hear it spoken. 

• Dj2541

To find  french  speaking  people in Australia is a bit  difficult. I  learnt  French  at  school, attended  Alliance  Francaise evenings  where  you  could  only  speak  French all  evening  and  My  Violin  Teacher  was  from  Paris, and thats  where  I learnt  to  swear in  French! My  Family  had a child  swap  arrangement  with a  family  in  Noumea,New  Caledonia, which is a french  speaking group of islands out in the  Pacific. There  are  French  Restaurants in  Sydney.French  at  various  levels is  taught at most  high  schools in Australia  but  it is rapidly  being  edged  out by  Asian  languages.My  children  were  taught  Indonesian at  high  school, a language  that as  far  as I was  concerned  a complete  waste of  time  as  nobody  outside of  Indonesia  speaks it!!

In a country of 26 million people, about 70,000 of them say they speak French. Your chances of running into one of them aren't that good.

Canada is officially bilingual. Australia is not. I live in British Columbia and the only place I've heard French spoken here in the last 20 years is on the radio.

• Rick

How common is French ANYWHERE besides France ????