i can't look up "dockful", what does it mean?

Miss Trixie was watching a freighter from Monrovia depart with a dockful of International Harvester tractors.

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago
    Favourite answer

{That was a tricky word to use for someone not familiar with a (sort of made-up) word.  So my oversimplification is NOT a reflection on you.}  A dock is a holding space for cargo. That dock was totally covered with only tractors. The dock was full; and then all of the tractors (the full dock, the dockful) were loaded onto the freighter, and sailed away. 

• 2 months ago

A weak writer in need of a good editor. Dockful is a made up word by a lazy writer who did not engage their brain during this observation. How can a freighter depart with a dock? How can the dock be full of tractors which are on board the ship? If this is the standard of book you're reading please close it and look for something better.

• 2 months ago

That is a useless or worse,dizzying word.

• Zapata
    Lv 6
    2 months ago

It is not a standard English word, which is why it probably does not appear in your dictionary. It sounds like an American-English colloquial term. 

Here, I would presume it is simply used to mean "a dock full of.." A dock is where ships tie up to load and unload. However, the word does not refer to the ship itself, so it is being used incorrectly strictly speaking.

In standard British English, if we were talking about a full container ship, we would say "...watching a freighter from Monrovia depart with a hold full of International Harvester tractors."

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 2 months ago

An impressively large number of harvester machines. Such that might fill most of the loading space of a dock.

• Zirp
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

similar to handful and mouthful, it refers to an amount that fits in a dock

• Tavy
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

There were many tractors lined up on the dock. They were transfered to the ship.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.