Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 1 month ago

I can't stand these 'team bonding' exercises and events we do at work they're sooo cringe I fcuking hate them with a passion! - help ?

i sincerely and utterly can not STAND my work colleagues, most of them are a**holes.

They make us do them every other friday, and that means instead of being allowed to go home on time at 6pm we have to stay there with each other for 2 more extra hours which is mega cringe and super stressful because these are the very people I yearn to get the fcuk away from so I can enjoy my friday evening with people who DO MATTER to me in my life such as my wife and two kids.

instead the a55hole company manager seems to think its 'fun' to do stupid water balloon fights outside with those super soaker water guns and firing them at female co workers who in turn scream as if they're being raped by him or something ,  its super cringe I kid you not.

we get free pizza and beers on fridays too but they take that out of our paycheck end of the month which fcuks me off a lot big time.  I did NOT want to participate in this b/s culture and did NOT agree to my salary being played around with so that a bunch of cringey fcukers could have these annoying as hell friday nights.

should I address this to my employer or find myself a new job ?

• Lily

Why do you stay there? I'd look for another job ASAP and get the heck out of there. Some people thrive in group environments, others hate them. What employers need to realize is that not everyone operates on the exact same wavelength, but employers base their work environment around how they like to work personally - and unfortunately most employers have a "to hell what anyone else thinks about it" attitude.

Next time you go job hunting and get called for an interview, see if you can sense if your new boss has that "introverted" feel to them. Or you could take an example from my book. I opted out of society altogether and chose to become self - employed. I clean houses, walk dogs, and just about anything you can think of. As soon as word got around that I left the work force to become self - employed everyone has been needing my services lately. 

• drip

Address to HR. Do you have to stay for them according to company policies. I really don’t see how they take money out of your paycheck.  I would be searching for a new job.

Do you feel better now?  You get free pizza and beer which is much better than my "team bonding" experiences.

Obviously you should look for a new job.

Show your independence by quitting. It makes no sense to work in such a dismal environment. Maybe you'll find that rare job that doesn't incorporate team building.